Grain

Hi, what grain should I give my hens. My girls are eating a ton of layers feed but layers is getting expensive, what grain should I give them, I tried barley and oats and they finish that fast too, I'll still give them layers but I would like to save a bit of money.
or how can I save money on feed?
Thanks in advance
I'm going to go against what's accepted in this sub-forum and recommend wheat grain and corn in addition to the mixed feed. I usually stay away from this debate, because the sides can be pretty militant, but since you asked specifically about grain I think it's ok this time.

Any lack of nutrients attributed to grains can be ignored as long as you give some mixed feed and not grain only, plus the occasional vitamin supplement. Natural adaption matters and chickens don't eat feed in the wild, there's some research that grains are good for them on that basis. Give them the best feed you can plus wheat grain and you will be good. Can add corn for variety, if you want. Let them eat from all of them and let them choose the amount they like. As a sude note chickens absolutely love wheat grain. Trust them.

I have been giving them mixed feed + wheat grain + corn for 30 years and they are healthy, happy, long lived and laying great eggs. There are whole threads with tables and stats how this or that nutrient is not present in this and that grain. I'd still go with trial/error and experience.

Now, I have a dislike for barley, because it needs to be absolutely dry, there is no tolerance in that. Even small amounts of moisture can spoil it and your entire flock can get sick or die. I have seen it happen at a neighbor's flock. I would not recommend oats as a daily thing, but oats are great as occasional treats.

EDIT: note that there are people feeding their chickens wheat grain only or corn only and they can survive for years producing eggs and offspring although they will not be happy or healthy.

Last edited:
some who read this thread might find this useful
vitamininnhold korn.jpg

Apologies to whoever put this together; I did not keep a record of who you are or where I found it. Thankfully you give your sources in the bottom rows.

Back
Top Bottom