grasses around chickens

lin9

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2012
my young hens have devastated my small grass patch that I planted with plugs a few years ago. Last summer hens didn't hurt the grass. Then a bear killed those girls and I bought new chix last October. These recent hens have demolished my grass plot.

What is good to plant that won't hurt them but which they won't want to eat. (They leave my peppermint patch alone....NOTE: they eat the marijuana flowers.)

Chickens eat most grasses and clovers, unless you mean like ornamental landscaping grasses like blue fescue which I haven't seen mine eat :D if you want to grow regular lawn grass I would fence it off, or plant enough that you can lose some to the little lawnmower chickens

They really don't want to eat grass but will if that's all they have. The grass disappears because of their scratching, soil compaction and excess phosphorus.
So you want a green ground cover but something they won't eat? Perhaps some shrubs.

Grass is too fibrous for chickens and not very nutritious.
More appropriate for them as forage is alfalfa, clover, radish, beets, turnips, peas and buckwheat.

Back
Top Bottom