Gravel For the Run

Yeah, too big for digestive grit.

FYI bumble foot is caused by staph infection.
Cuts to the feet may or may not become infected.
I have plenty of sharp stuff(coarse wood chips) and big jumps and have never had a case of bumblefoot.

their food is a lightly fermented mix of whole grains, peas, field peas, barley, etc,
This is the main diet or scratch/treat? A chicken paradise is free range foraging which includes bugs and all sorts of things, not just rabbit food.... But if that's not an option then I like where you're going with providing a garden. If you have a compost, toss them a hand full of worms here and there, especially if the mix you mentioned is the main diet.

This is the main diet or scratch/treat? A chicken paradise is free range foraging which includes bugs and all sorts of things, not just rabbit food.... But if that's not an option then I like where you're going with providing a garden. If you have a compost, toss them a hand full of worms here and there, especially if the mix you mentioned is the main diet.
We are too close to the road to free range. We have a large run, that even 37 chickens do not make use of the entire space and we are expanding it again, thus all the landscaping plans, I want to encourage them to broaden their horizons. I have plans for some covered roosting and water stations through out with a variety of planter boxes with things of interest for them, different heights for interest.

They do get a lot of bugs and vegetation, South Carolina has pretty mild winters so there are always bugs. I have planted some grape vines and herbs around the outside of the run, but after a really wet autumn and winter, they have dug up all the grass, so it is time to plant things inside the run. ;-)

The feed idea came from this article by @Perris: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

This is their main "provided" diet, I feed them first thing in the morning and late afternoon, a few hours before dark so they can fill up before bed. I will scatter the dry grain for them as a scratch, mostly for my boys who really love it! We supplement with scramble and fish, mostly sardines in water or tuna, unless I can get a good deal on fresh or freshly frozen fish at the grocery store, they seem to be thriving.

Back
Top Bottom