green pigeon peas (goya)

mikarahhh

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2023
i've got a 2 week six day old muscovy duckling, and i'm wondering if i can feed him goya green pigeon peas for niacin nutrition? might be a stupid question

I keep chickens,,, and I feed them All-Flock feed. That means it has nutrition ideal for all your flock,, if you have chickens, ducks, geese, and so forth. I just checked the bag label,,, and sure enough,,, it contains Niacin.
Niacin is Vitamin B3, in a soluble form.
It is recommended to feed ducks such supplements. If your feed already has it,, then I don't think additional niacin is that urgent.
Think about all the wild ducks that don't have added vitamins,, and do fine.
I raise my chickens, and do not conform to a SCIENCE DIET. All my chickens live Long Lives. :old

Now to your question.. Remember,, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Anyone that would judge yours as such,,, would be quite insensitive.
The peas you are considering giving should not cause harm,, as I see. Rinse before giving in fresh water. Read the label,, to make sure it does not contain much SALT. Many people food cans do contain quite a bit. Consider frozen greens that are packed with vitamins naturally,, (My preferred option, if I wanted to supplement). If you do go with this option,,, mash the vegetables, or even grind them finely, for best results.
You will need to provide grit along with whatever you give your duckling. Small duckling would need small fine grit.
The feeds from stores, are processed, and can be consumed by chicks, ducklings, and such,,, without the need of grit.

There is a thread with a similar question as yours. Read, and learn from there as well.
Here is the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...add-niacin-to-my-ducks-ducklings-diet.788918/

So If your pigeon peas do contain unnecessary added salt,, Consider making a dish for yourself. ARROZ CON GANDULES:drool:drool:drool
I can lead you to a good recipe here on a BYC thread.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

some ducks especially pekins require additional niacin all their life. Even with an all flock feed, or a waterfowl feed domestic ducks don’t live in the wild they don’t migrate, and they’re heavier than the wild ducks, their legs have more problems without the additional niacin. I add nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon per cup of feed for ducklings the first two months after that, I add some twice a week

Back
Top Bottom