Green poo and Gurgling

Mayf

Hatching
Jun 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

In advance, thanks for all your info. I've been reading for some time but this is my first post.

Pepper, our young Plymouth rock hen, has just started making a gurgling noise when she would usually be chattering in the day. She has also done some green diarrhea poos overnight, one of which has a tiny spot of blood in it. (See photo) She is also lethargic and a bit out of sorts.

What might be wrong? And what steps should we take to treat her?

factors which my be relevant to diagonisis:
-she is just approaching laying age right around now but is yet to lay her first egg
-we got her at 3 days old along with 3 other chicks(unsexed).
-The other 3 chicks all turned out to be cocks 🙄. Being in a residential areas We recently (2 weeks ago) swapped them with a breeder for a white leghorn cross hen of a similar age to her. We've named ber Salt.
- Salt has shown dominance over Pepper but they appear to have bonded and become fiends quite well. Pepper was always submissive to the boys.
- Pepper has never had injections or immunisation as a chick but has been fed starter feed which I believe contains the right additives.
- I have no idea of Salt's immunisation history. She is supposedly at laying age too but is also yet to lay since arriving.
- the weather has recently turned wet and cold. Not cold by USA standars but miserable for east cost Australia. 12 deg Celsius in the day and drizzly.
- recently I have noticed Indian Minor birds and some pigeons mingling with the hens trying to scab some of their food when I open the run to let them free range in the yard. (I've heard other birds can transmit illness so I thought I'd mention).
- Pepper has on and off had a bit of a gunky eye on the right side since she was a chick. We had been using coconut oil which someone suggested on this forum. We have recently started trying to treat this with human Chlorsig eye drops which appears to be helping and may not be at all relevant to the current issue.

I'm sure there's many things that could be the cause. I'd prefer not to have to spend 4 times the price of a chicken on a trip to the vet but we want to get her better.

Thanks so much.

20210622_082147.jpg
20210622_082015.jpg
20210622_082004.jpg
20210622_082026.jpg

Back
Top Bottom