Greens Question..

devans87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Dallas
Ok, I have a Mali Uramastyx (aka: a lizard)
lol.png
He eats kale, mustard greens and turnip greens, but he can only eat the leaves off of them. Can I give the stems to my chickens or will it be bad for them???

OK. sounds good, I'll try it this evening. Should I give them to them warm from the microwave or let the cool and then give it to them?

Those are cool! I'm more of a Bearded Dragon gal myself...

It may be better to let them sit for a bit. I only say that because in hot weather, something a bit cooler would be more preferable to something warm for most of us.

i've heard that the general rule of thumb is, if you can weave a basket out of it, don't feed it to your chickens. That being said, my chickens love to peck at the stems of all kinds of greens after they've eaten the leafy part off. The chopping and steaming idea is a really good one. i'll have to try that myself.

Daniel, we had some split radishes from the garden. Rather than toss them in the compost, I put them in a plastic bag, then in the microwave, and cooked them slowly for a few minutes.

You'd have thought they were the most excellent food ever served in the coop! ! Yep, there was a fight over cooked radishes . . .
roll.png

I let things like this cool to room temp before giving them to the birds.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom