Grieving Duck

Feb 2, 2020
Hi All,

Can anyone advise me on how long ducks grieve for. I had 2 females for just under 4 years & a week ago one unexpectedly got ill & passed away. Now my other duck is grieving & shouting for her best friend. After a few days I got her a new friend which seems to have calmed her a little but she still seems agitated, shouting if she hears a noise or if a bird flies over or sometimes for no reason it appears. I'm heartbroken to have lost 1 duck & watching the other grieve, together with the thought I may also have to look to rehome her if she doesn't settle down as I live in a neighbourhood & I'm worried her shouting will be annoying people, its certainly wearing me down 😥

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have just 2 and they lose their only flock member. My ducks and I have 16 quack for each other if they get a few feet from each other. So it wasn't a predator just an illness. And she has a new friend . How are they doing together? Try and give her more time it may take longer than a week for the hurt to go away. Maybe try giving more treats to help get the 2 more closely bonded. Pool time might help if your in a part of the country or works where you can have a pool now. Another distraction would be hanging a head of cabbage out for them to nibble on. Is the new duck female or drake. And if drake is he constantly wanting to breed with her? It can take time and maybe just explaining to your neighbors what happened and that hopefully they'll understand.:welcome not the best of circumstance to have to join but we're glad you did.

Last edited:
My 2 year old khaki girls are very close. I was always worried that if something happened to the other, the surviving duck would be devastated. I raised 8 more females last year, and both older girls are happy with their new friends.

So sorry for your loss. I think your duckie will eventually get over her grief.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

We started out with 6 ducks and now have 3. Each loss has been hard on the flock, and me, as they are my precious pets. The remaining ducks quack for their lost flock member, behave weirdly, are a little clingy to me, and seem agitated for a time.

The first loss was Gingersnap. The remaining ducks mourned for only a couple days. For second loss, Clover, it was a couple weeks. For the third loss, Plantain, it was intensely for 1 month! Less intensely for one more month.

I'm glad you got her a friend. Please give her as much time as you can to adjust.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

We started out with 6 ducks and now have 3. Each loss has been hard on the flock, and me, as they are my precious pets. The remaining ducks quack for their lost flock member, behave weirdly, are a little clingy to me, and seem agitated for a time.

The first loss was Gingersnap. The remaining ducks mourned for only a couple days. For second loss, Clover, it was a couple weeks. For the third loss, Plantain, it was intensely for 1 month! Less intensely for one more month.

I'm glad you got her a friend. Please give her as much time as you can to adjust.
That’s so true.

Back
Top Bottom