grind your own??

DLS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
100 miles SOUTH of Atlanta
I was wondering what protien % wheat is? I can get FEED soybeans but I hear that it is POISON to chickens, how can I make feed soybeans OK for chickens? & what % is soybeans?. I feed 22% nutrena laying pellets But I want to start mixing my own feed (I have a big Burr mill already) But just can't find the ingrediants that is cost effective & high enough protien..
I have mostly stopped giving corn, not much food value. . OATS are cheap here in the south & I feed that as scratch. 12% scratch feed seems way better than corn & the like it better!! . I need to get this burr mill grinding away . get me a mixture & we will see how the flock does..

I don't know how, but I read this yesterday and found it interesting, as I'd like to mill my own for the 5 hens I'll eventually have.
smile.png

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-4/Harvey_Ussery.html

Wheat runs about 12 - 16% protein. It varies a lot from year to year. Corn is about 8% protein, but is an excellent and economical source of energy. Oats is OK to use as a treat, but with the hulls, it's kind of bulky, especially for chicks.

Soybeans, in the raw form, are not exactly poison, but they do contain several chemicals that interfere with digestion. If cooked or roasted, these chemicals are inactivated. Processed soybean meal runs around 44% protein, but it is not a very well balanced protein, and needs to be supplemented. If you are able to free-range your birds, and there are lots of insects around, you might be able to get by with just corn or wheat for energy, and let them eat bugs to balance the protein.

Back
Top Bottom