Gross smell from my 2 1/2 week old frizzle

love-my-wolves

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Front Royal, VA
Well, my roo frizzle smells bad!!! I noticed when I let them out to play, but just figured he stepped in something. Well, I pick him up, and I get that bad smell. Ya know, the one you never forget if you smell it? The (yikes) yeast smell!!! I worked at a vet, and the smell is aweful!!! So, I lift the poor little guy, and start searching. He is loosing his fuzz, and has many "bald" spots, where the big boy feathers are coming in. (Oh, I think he's a roo, since he is the last to feather) Well, during my inspection, I run my hand under his wings. And one comes out wet. Oh, no! I lift the wing, and there is a wet spot, and that aweful smell!!! The other wing, and the rest of him is fine. No holes or blood, just wet yeast. Is this from him growing his feathers? Is he bothering it by picking his fuzz out? I washed it well with a damp towel, but should I put anything on it to dry it out? Should I look for something else? None of the others have gone through this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!! Steph

There is a special medicated soap..but sorry, I can't recall the name right at this moment..
hopefully someone can name it for you..

you might try dabbing a little apple cider vinegar under the wing, and keep check on it...keeping it clean and dry and redab for a few days.
if it continues, you might try a little athlete's foot ointment...and there are drying medicated powders usually on display with the ointments.

hopefully, this problem is temporary.

please describe his droppings..color and consistency.
is he eating well?
is he active and alert?

Tea Tree Oil will help as well.

The medicated shampoos usually either have Ketoconazole or Clotrimazole in them or Miconazole/chlorihexidine *Maleseb Shampoo*. I know they do great on cats and dogs but have not used them on my chickens so I'd check with a vet on that first, unless someone else has used it and can lend an OK to use here.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks!!!

Everything else is normal with him. Eats/drinks/poops/plays well. Very active!!! I will definetly look into the shampoos. I know ketoconizole and chlotrim was good for cats and dogs, so I will ask the vet tomorrow. Thanks!!!! Steph

Back
Top Bottom