Ground disinfection post-coop removal

Slaughterrt

Hatching
Jun 20, 2021
Hello all,
First off I would like to say I have never owned chickens but maybe one day down the road…

So, we recently purchased a house and the previous owners kept a half dozen chickens in a coop in their backyard. I am in the process of demolishing the coop because we do not plan on raising chickens for the foreseeable future. I have no issue physically removing the structure, but my questions are more geared toward how to clean/disinfect the ground once the coop is removed. I understand that there are various germs that could be left behind, and I haven’t been able to find much guidance on disinfecting/bleaching/cleaning the grounds. I’ve got kids and would love to utilize as much of the yard as possible.
So, once the physical structures are removed, what is the best way to clean the dirt/hay/grass/etc to remove the germs and smell?
Thanks
Rob

Hello all,
First off I would like to say I have never owned chickens but maybe one day down the road…

So, we recently purchased a house and the previous owners kept a half dozen chickens in a coop in their backyard. I am in the process of demolishing the coop because we do not plan on raising chickens for the foreseeable future. I have no issue physically removing the structure, but my questions are more geared toward how to clean/disinfect the ground once the coop is removed. I understand that there are various germs that could be left behind, and I haven’t been able to find much guidance on disinfecting/bleaching/cleaning the grounds. I’ve got kids and would love to utilize as much of the yard as possible.
So, once the physical structures are removed, what is the best way to clean the dirt/hay/grass/etc to remove the germs and smell?
Thanks
Rob
Hi Rob and welcome to BYC.

The ground does not need disinfection.
Once the coop and run are removed, I would do nothing more than rototill the area, rake it out, seed, mulch and water it to establish new grass to replace what the chickens removed. It'll probably be a whole lot greener than the rest of the yard from the fertilizer they supplied over the years.

If you have or plan to make a compost pile I would put the remnant of the coop poop in the compost.
The area where the coop is removed will be a great spot to make a raised bed garden.

Back
Top Bottom