Grower to Layer Feed

dawj

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Central NH
I bought my chicks and fed them starter....Then as they grew and starter bag ended went onto grower feed. They said feed them this until the bag is gone then buy Layer Feed...........My problem they are almost 12 weeks and I still have a 1/4 bag of grower should i give it away and move on to layer feed so they will start laying around 18weeks? I read somewhere they will not lay eggs on grower feed....is this true?

Last edited:
They should stay on grower until at least 16 weeks or you see the first egg. There is no rush to switch them to layer. I have had pullets lay eggs on starter/grower. Actually most of mine are not switched until I see an egg.

keeping them on the grower feed for a little while longer may delay their laying but not for very long, actualy all of my hens who are a year old now eat flock raiser feed (with crushed oyster shell on the side) just because the layer feeds didnt provide enough protein for them ( because of a feather picking problem) what i would do is go ahead and buy a bag of layer and just mix the 2 feeds until the grower runs out.

Yay! This is helpful for me too, as I have 9 13 week olds, and I have the same question...
hu.gif

I read somewhere they will not lay eggs on grower feed....is this true?

No. Layer feed contains more calcium than grower or starter feed. They need the calcium to lay healthy eggs, but it doesn't matter how they get it.

You can feed them flock feed with calcium on the side or you can just feed them layer feed if no young chicks are eating with them.

They should begin layer feed at 18 weeks.​

We do starter until 16 weeks. At 16 weeks we switch to layer feed and place a pan of oyster shell out for them to take as they want. It is funny, they know when they need it!

Back
Top Bottom