Grower vs. Layer Feed

Hawgon

Songster
Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Quick question..(on my way to the feed store later) We have a mix of breeds and sexes and I was wondering if it is best to just put out grower feed and have oyster shell available to the hens that need it? I heard that it is not good for the roosters to always eat the layer feed and the hens will eat the oyster shell when they need it. We have seperate coops and runs for each breed but we let them free range alot and they get into each others coops and runs and even started laying in different coops now......weird animals...lol They all go to there respective coops at night to roost though...Thanks for any advice....

Going with grower and free-choice oyster will work fine. I am of the opinion most grower formulations are a little hot, high on nitrogen / protein side for adult chickens so cut it using scratch grains / intact corn.

Going with grower and free-choice oyster will work fine. I am of the opinion most grower formulations are a little hot, high on nitrogen / protein side for adult chickens so cut it using scratch grains / intact corn.
Thank you...will do on cutting it down....will pick up some grain and intact corn...intact meaning just whole kernels?

Yes, intact = whole kernals. I cut so overal, protein consumed is just a little higher than what is in a typical layer ration. If birds in molt, cut less for protein to go up. If temperatures get low do not cut, rather let them have all scratch they want so long as they do not cut back on grower intake.

Back
Top Bottom