Growing Muscovy sounds

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So my little Muscovy ducklings are growing nicely. Taking them out to the pen a few times. All the ducks just welcome them in except for one young female Muscovy of mine that straight out attacks them. But I’ve been taking them out supervised and that’s getting better, and these 2 are getting bugger

So JP, the one with the nearly full white chest, is bigger and wider and I Think is a boy . Sascha, the one with just the two white spots on the chest, is a bit smaller and I assume a gurl

JP makes a trilling sounds like my other Muscovy girls do. And Sascha occasionally honks like one of my regular ducks.

May be a dumb question but is that normal? Never had a Muscovy from a duckling and never heard my grown Muscovy girls honk before. Usually trilling chirps at most

They are about 2 months old my pekins I raised from ducklings started to sound different around This same age. Not sure if Muscovy are on the same timeline

Attachments

• 61D63080-672F-47DA-A44C-086CC0B5CBB4.jpeg
    61D63080-672F-47DA-A44C-086CC0B5CBB4.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 45C8E070-471B-4261-A9E5-3914D0F78B9B.jpeg
    45C8E070-471B-4261-A9E5-3914D0F78B9B.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 10
Do you have a video of the sound? I have found the boys take longer to change voices than the girls. My boys kept on peeping while my girls voices chirped. The boys will also do silent before they start to huff. But the girls do have a larger range of sounds.

So my little Muscovy ducklings are growing nicely. Taking them out to the pen a few times. All the ducks just welcome them in except for one young female Muscovy of mine that straight out attacks them. But I’ve been taking them out supervised and that’s getting better, and these 2 are getting bugger

So JP, the one with the nearly full white chest, is bigger and wider and I Think is a boy . Sascha, the one with just the two white spots on the chest, is a bit smaller and I assume a gurl

JP makes a trilling sounds like my other Muscovy girls do. And Sascha occasionally honks like one of my regular ducks.

May be a dumb question but is that normal? Never had a Muscovy from a duckling and never heard my grown Muscovy girls honk before. Usually trilling chirps at most

They are about 2 months old my pekins I raised from ducklings started to sound different around This same age. Not sure if Muscovy are on the same timeline
They are adorable ❤️

No video of it. The honk only comes out once in a while

They are cute little ones, and so sweet. I have them outside in the pen for the day. Separated in a penned off area because one of my adult Muscovy females Keeps attacking them. The other ducks are cool with them but my gut Opal keeps going after them

I had a hard time telling my Hens from Drakes with my Mule Ducks. The first one that I hatched out would always stand guard in the pen while the other two stayed close to each other. That one I thought for sure was my Drake. It turned out that the two that stayed together were Drakes and the one that was actually bigger and stood guard was my Hen! I would have never guessed until they were 4 months old and got their voices and I saw the male parts on them for myself. The Hiss came to the drakes and the Hen will quack if she is scared. Good luck with yours, they are beautiful!!!

They are big enough to stay in the pen all day now. Still bringing them in at night as the other muscovies bite at them if they go in the coop area. Going to wall off an area for them so everyone can get used to each other. But they get along during the day.

The all white Muscovy is Opal. She is the jerk that rules my Muscovy gang and bothers my little ones

Attachments

• 78A50893-9070-4E38-AC87-F8B8751025F4.jpeg
    78A50893-9070-4E38-AC87-F8B8751025F4.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2B60291A-BB47-4D45-9F67-0B46AB1ECAD2.jpeg
    2B60291A-BB47-4D45-9F67-0B46AB1ECAD2.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 6
There’s always a bully in every crowd! :rolleyes:
My Muscovy have lived together for 11 yrs the drakes mom is 14 all of her original flock has died off . Even though molt has been going on and these girls have known each other so long they are acting like bullies to my 14 yr old so she has to be separated from the other girls Only my drake ( who is her son) can be with her during the day and at night Ruth has her own bedroom so the girls can’t pick on her.
Opie and his mom Ruthie. Wouldn’t it be nice if they could all get along? Your Muscovy are beautiful♥️
1C25F5FE-035A-4B1A-959C-BAE5FE9B5BCE.jpeg

There’s always a bully in every crowd! :rolleyes:
My Muscovy have lived together for 11 yrs the drakes mom is 14 all of her original flock has died off . Even though molt has been going on and these girls have known each other so long they are acting like bullies to my 14 yr old so she has to be separated from the other girls Only my drake ( who is her son) can be with her during the day and at night Ruth has her own bedroom so the girls can’t pick on her.
Opie and his mom Ruthie. Wouldn’t it be nice if they could all get along? Your Muscovy are beautiful♥️View attachment 3284858
Such beautiful Muscovies. I am soooo fortunate that everyone in my pen gets along just fine right now. Spring will tell the real story of course, lol.

Back
Top Bottom