Growing something in the run

I have a couple of rotational pens, which are allowed to recover from the chickens. I don’t plant anything, I just let Mother Nature take care of that, with various weeds and grasses. I don’t let them stay in long enuf to decimate these areas. Then it’s always a treat for them to spend a day or two foraging… IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4792.jpeg

I came to give suggestions, but I'm also now really excited to check out that thread posted above!

Right now, my girls are in a predator-proofed 20'x8' run attached to their coop (with an automatic door in between, so they can go outside every morning whether I have shoes on or not, lol). But I am going to have a further outside fenced space around it as soon as I can. I'm planning on shrubs and trees, which will be protected from chickens until well estavlished (I usually use a ring of welded wire fencing, secured to a Tpost or piece of rebar): mulberry, black currant, honeyberry, raspberry, elderberry, and maybe a peach tree and/or grapevine. I've got some comfrey planted already, and will probably do a variety of herbs transplanted in from other garden areas of my yard (also with protection).

The ground in the run is covered in a deep layer of wood chips (free from a tree company), and I love it so much I'm going to do the same with the fenced area. to avoid the problem of trying to keep them from scratching up (or, yeah, decimating) all the grass and clover.

Some of my ideas tend to be modeled after a favorite youtube channel (it's Edible Acres, if I'm allowed to mention that; if I'm not, my apologies, and I will happily edit that out. I have no personal connection to it - I just love his permaculture philosophy and his soothing voice)

Good luck!

I have to say. I came on here for an answer to my question on what to grow I am taken back on being told I am using the wrong term or questioning what I have said in general. The comments are quite condescending. Or is that the wrong use of the word?

I have 9 hens and a rooster who have 100 Sq ft per bird. They had 10 acres of pasture but chose to come to the house and decimate my plants (there's the word again). I have screens that will be placed over what I plant so this is not an issue again. So I will try a second time. What should I plant? Just grass.
When I first started chickens I tried the grass seed in a frame in a small run—- lol my clumsy butt busted it before the birds did! Then I tried building a portable tractor that was too cumbersome for me. Now, my yard is a SMALL city lot, I can’t free range my birds… so I grow vines outside the run. Absolutely anything within reach of that beak and claws IS destroyed by a chicken. It’s their nature to swipe the grass, dirt or straw no matter how much you try different things.
Watch YouTube’s of city-dwelling owners for their views, different settings. Otherwise maybe plants in pots (they’ll still get in them too! ) Remember Googling will bring you right back here Lol, but just Google WHAT is safe to grow on your property.

Mine are in confinement full time, so I've also been giving a lot of thought on how to provide greenery and plants to munch on.

One idea that I've yet to try is putting lemon balm or catmint (both HUGE favorites) in an outdoor planter, then putting a garden cloche over it so they can only nibble what grows outside the mesh. I'm sure they'd have it trimmed down in 10 seconds, but it would give them something to look forward to every day.

I do a similar concept outside their pen; we built a garden box right up against the hardware cloth, and the plants will gradually grow through the sides for an occasional treat. We have lavender, rosemary, and catmint. All do well in full sun, and don't really need watering (assuming you get some rain).

I've also started growing wheat grass sprouts indoors. It takes about a week to grow to 3-4 inches, and it's quite easy. The Chicken Chick has a nice article on her website.

Back
Top Bottom