grrr.I have a problem

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I just went down to the coop and I have FOUR broodies (two 3 year old BOs, one 8 month old BO, and one 8 month old Deleware). Now I just bought an incubator and I am really excited to use it but I know a broody momma would be way better. I am pulled both ways, maybe I should put half under the broody and half in the bator. but I have no place to put the broody! -le sigh- this is SO hard.
barnie.gif

A dog carrier works in a pinch for a broody hen, or so I have read on here. i wouldnt know what to do either. Go for half and half, then when the chicks hatch in the bator then you can give them to mama and less work for you.
Kristyne

Hey Corey,

I used a dog crate and it did work great. It doesnt even have to be a very large one. One of my books even said a cardboard box. My girl did'nt hardly ever even get up off the nest. Usually just once a day to eat, drink and poo. It is really fun to watch chicks with momma. Let us know what you decide.

Cindy

I don't have any spare dog crates I all ready have one broody in one and all the dogs use the others! What I really mean is that I don't have any room for chicks or any place to put them when they are older.

Quote:
Do you want baby chicks or not? Sounds like you want the joyful experience of hatching little babies without the consequences of them getting older, ie. more space/feed to accomodate 'em?. I feel that way a lot of times too, just hatched some bantams and I'll have to give them back to the guy who gave me the eggs in the 1st place.

I think there's a solution here. If there is a poultry show with a sale (check your local poultry breeders association) you can sell the babies. As harsh as it sounds you will always lose chickens to a predator, so these babies can replenish those.

Well I am going out of town for two weeks so when I get back if anyone is still broody I'll let them have some eggs and keep some for myself in the bator. I figure who ever stays broody w/o eggs for two weeks I can trust to sit on eggs. I figured out an answer to my space problem, Iam gonna build another coop, now I just have 21 days to do it.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom