Guinea Fowl Question.....

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
I found one of our guineas nests, and I would really like to hatch the eggs out.
One thing I heard that if guineas find out their nest was discovered, they'll leave. I was thinking of getting some fake eggs to put in the nest. Nowhere, can I find fake guinea eggs, just chickens eggs. Would they know the difference, because they are bigger and a different color? Heres some different egg ideas I came across. Would any of these work?
Any info would be great!

With unfinished wooden eggs, I was thinking that they might have an unfamiliar smell to the guineas when rained on.
Screenshot_2023-04-04-11-58-03-717.jpg

These ones look similar, but have more speckles.

Screenshot_2023-04-04-11-57-20-778.jpg

I found one of our guineas nests, and I would really like to hatch the eggs out.
One thing I heard that if guineas find out their nest was discovered, they'll leave. I was thinking of getting some fake eggs to put in the nest. Nowhere, can I find fake guinea eggs, just chickens eggs. Would they know the difference, because they are bigger and a different color? Heres some different egg ideas I came across. Would any of these work?
Any info would be great!

With unfinished wooden eggs, I was thinking that they might have an unfamiliar smell to the guineas when rained on.
View attachment 3455255

View attachment 3455256
I have used the wooden bantam eggs after I sanded them to be pointier. The sanding is not necessary but it did make them more guinea egg shaped.

I make my own fake guinea eggs from Sculpey Oven Bake Clay.

Some people do use golf balls and others use regular ceramic chicken eggs. Others simply mark some actual eggs and leave those while collecting fresh ones.

Any info would be great!

View attachment 3455255

View attachment 3455256
My guineas aren’t fooled by chicken shaped/colored eggs. I make pink Sculpey eggs if possible. If I don’t have time for that, I briefly steam six Guinea eggs so they won’t develop. Then I mark those and return to the nest. I collect new eggs every night. If it’s an outside nest, I remove my marked eggs and return in the morning, or scavengers will take my marked eggs.

Back
Top Bottom