Guinea noise question

TheTarantulaDude

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
So I have been bonding more and more with my male guinea, named Mr: J to the point he doesn't jump up on my lap just yet but he doesn't mind being pet and handled (once you catch him which he isn't nearly as flighty about it as the other three) but to the point now, when I hold him he makes a small little whistling noise, that goes from low pitch to high and low again, I was wondering if this was like a content noise or if I have been unknowingly causing my bird distress.

So I have been bonding more and more with my male guinea, named Mr: J to the point he doesn't jump up on my lap just yet but he doesn't mind being pet and handled (once you catch him which he isn't nearly as flighty about it as the other three) but to the point now, when I hold him he makes a small little whistling noise, that goes from low pitch to high and low again, I was wondering if this was like a content noise or if I have been unknowingly causing my bird distress.
Guineas almost never shut up. When in the coop in the evening they will make a melodic non-stop chatter very similar to what you are describing.

If it's what I call a "trill" I hear mine making it when they're getting ready to roost for the night or when they're hanging out with each other and preening. They seem pretty relaxed when they're making it.

Video link below isn't mine but it's the sound I'm talking about.

They also have a warning whistle but it's harsher sounding (almost like your ears are ringing) and it's a single note that's drawn out. That is NOT a happy sound.

If it's what I call a "trill" I hear mine making it when they're getting ready to roost for the night or when they're hanging out with each other and preening. They seem pretty relaxed when they're making it.

Video link below isn't mine but it's the sound I'm talking about.

They also have a warning whistle but it's harsher sounding (almost like your ears are ringing) and it's a single note that's drawn out. That is NOT a happy sound.
Thank you for letting me know! The other guinea seem to love interrogating me when I hang out with my unexpected friend XD

Guineas almost never shut up. When in the coop in the evening they will make a melodic non-stop chatter very similar to what you are describing.
Oddly enough even our most skittish guinea never makes that much noise, our chickens are way louder...and far more destructive! I will never forgive those birds for what they did to my kale garden... :(

Back
Top Bottom