Guineas chasing Deer?!

Ours will alarm call for deer, and then the deer generally leave. They will also quarrel with crows and squirrels. Last year, mine would not take on snakes at all. I am hoping that with the larger flock and more males that we have this year, they will be more willing to take on snakes. We have copperheads which bit our beagle, and black rat snakes, which raid guinea nests and have killed some guineas in the coop at night. So, we hope that they will at least alarm call for these so I can do something about them.

Ours will alarm call for deer, and then the deer generally leave. They will also quarrel with crows and squirrels. Last year, mine would not take on snakes at all. I am hoping that with the larger flock and more males that we have this year, they will be more willing to take on snakes. We have copperheads which bit our beagle, and black rat snakes, which raid guinea nests and have killed some guineas in the coop at night. So, we hope that they will at least alarm call for these so I can do something about them.
When the guineas alarm call, my Great Pyrenees and Boxer/German Shepherd come to join in on the threat. We had a cottonmouth down by the creek years ago and the guineas just hollered at it until it moved into the water and preceded to stand on the edge for another 15 minutes telling it to stay away.😄

Back
Top Bottom