Guineas in town?

chels23

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
S.E Kansas
First off let me start by saying that I live on the edge of town, but still in city limits. My new neighbors informed me that they will be getting 12 guineas to put in their backyard. I wouldn't care except that I thought that they were really good at flying and I don't want them in my backyard. All we have is a chain link fence in between. I also thought that they were really noisy and they don't always get along with chickens. They already have a couple goats and they know nothing about them so they ask us to take care of them. I really really don't want to have to take care of guineas now. So what are the chances that I'm going to have guineas running around my backyard? And should I be worried about my chickens?

I can guarantee the guineas will end up in your yard. Do the neighbors know they can fly? If they want you to take care of the goats, I'm not sure they have a clue.

I told them that I didn't think they would stay in their yard, but he didn't seem to care. He also has another neighbor on the other side of him. I don't think he knows anything about them other than they don't like snakes. He says he thinks they would be cool to have. I was wrong about the number, he is getting 15. Poor little birds

I currently have 2 guineas and five keets in the brooder. We are on fifteen acres and the genz free range but stay pretty much on 2-3 acres. They chased the chickens at first but after wintering in the coop together they get along fine. A fence most likely will not keep them in their yard. 15 will be very loud. We hear ours half a mile away and that is the two adults only.

Unless you have 10+ acres, 12 guineas is a LOT for a small lot. And I mean like waaaayy too many.

If I had just a 1 acre lot and just had to have guineas, I'd get like 3. Tops. They are not lightfooted and cute like a chicken......they are big and noisy and loud (and I have 16 of them on 16 acres---you definently know where they are at ALL times).

They are excellent flyers. Ours could hit the highline wires if they needed, they fly to the very tops of the trees. A chainlink fence will be like a stepping stone for them. They won't even notice it. Ours get along well with our chickens, but they definently stick to themselves. They weren't raised together, but don't bother each other.

That said, you won't have fleas or ticks or snakes. Ours are incredibly self sufficient, they roost in the trees at night and do their own thing. I keep a feeder of layer crumbles full for them and they drink out of the dog bowls, horse waterers, etc.....Taking care of them is a cinch. If we left for a week, they would be fine and wouldn't even notice.
They're good guard dogs and I would LOVE to have more,.....I just can't find them around here
hmm.png

Okay, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here.

[on soapbox ]
wink.png

I have guinea fowl within the city limits (with all the appropriate permits and testing).
I have 15 and ,yes, on only 1 acre of land (but will be 1.5 by November of this year.) The MDA and the DNR has no problem with that.
I hatched them from eggs, I did NOT clip their wings and I have a three foot fence.

They are well trained and stay in the yard all day, stay in the coop at night and lay eggs in our nesting box (a large plastic dog box).

They only make noise at the unfamiliar, visitors, stray dogs, etc. The neighbors' dogs bark more often than they do.

If one accidentally gets over a fence, they are retrieved quickly as they are watched 24/7. Our one neighbor has been throwing bread to them so they will run to the fence when she goes out in her back yard.

Just like dogs or any pet, guineas are a product of their environment. My guinea have a very structured life, they know they go out in the morning and come in at night, they know I give them food and water and safety. Because of that safety, others are impressed by how tame they are.

If you want to see these birds in person we have open house on Sundays 10-noon, call 240-580-2228 before arriving as we might be fully booked or as wet weather might mean you won't see much.

[off soapbox]
wink.png

If there is nothing against keeping guinea fowl in the city regulations, then they should be treated just like (a cat or dog) any pet your neighbor might have.

If they are constantly trespassing call them in to the proper authorities, the Department of Agriculture or Natural Resource Police. If they are making too much noise, call the regular police, (just be careful that your own pets aren't just as noisy).
smile.png

Don't let your animals free range on other property. [ie. If someone let's their dog crap (without cleaning it up) inside your guinea's yard, make sure you return it to them.
roll.png
]

Back
Top Bottom