Guineas laying eggs?

Klowdy

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2023
Hi All,
I am new to having Guinea fowl, this is my first winter having them. I have one male three females. All were born in May, I got them in June. So they are about 9 mths old. Everything I read tells me Guinea's don't lay eggs during the winter months. It has been extremelyyyyy cold here in Manitoba. The other morning I went out and found a whole pile of eggs in the hay box. LOL :idunno
Guinea eggs.jpg

Hi All,
I am new to having Guinea fowl, this is my first winter having them. I have one male three females. All were born in May, I got them in June. So they are about 9 mths old. Everything I read tells me Guinea's don't lay eggs during the winter months. It has been extremelyyyyy cold here in Manitoba. The other morning I went out and found a whole pile of eggs in the hay box. LOL :idunnoView attachment 3393034
If you are giving them supplemental light, this would be normal. Guineas start laying based on much daylight there is. Providing supplemental light messes up their clock.

If you are giving them supplemental light, this would be normal. Guineas start laying based on much daylight there is. Providing supplemental light messes up their clock.
Thanks for your reply. I do turn light on during the day for added light, there is a window that normal daylight enters. I turn light out between 5-6pm. Should I just let normal darkness occur, which would be 1-2 hours earlier?

Thanks for your reply. I do turn light on during the day for added light, there is a window that normal daylight enters. I turn light out between 5-6pm. Should I just let normal darkness occur, which would be 1-2 hours earlier?
Your preference. They are only going to lay for so long before they stop laying. Because yours started early, they will stop early too.

Your preference. They are only going to lay for so long before they stop laying. Because yours started early, they will stop early too.
Thats ok, don't have them for egg production. They can stop anytime lol

I see I'm not the only one with confused guineas, mine have been laying like crazy since the middle of January! 😩 Started out finding one or two eggs each morning in the coop, then about a week ago I noticed a couple of my hens consistently hanging out near a pair of very large pampas grasses growing by their coop while the rest of the guineas were off down in the pasture, so I went poking around after they left and found a huge stash of eggs hidden in there! I will never understand what goes on in their little pea brains lol

Back
Top Bottom