GUINEAS

greathorse

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Northern Colorado
I dont understand guineas very well I guess. I have 5 I think there are 4 hens and one cock but I cannot be sure. They have finally started laying and it appears that most eggs are not fertile. I have broken quite a few and no bullseye. There is one female that has a bad foot problem and I will likely cull her. It seems that she is the one mated with the cock. If I cull her will he breed the rest or do they pretty much mate up and you need one to one. I did test incubate one of her eggs and it is developing.

Darn birds.

I hear various opinions about male guineas.. I have found that they do not seem to be like roosters and mate with any hen that comes along.
Over the years I have watched my guineas and the split up to 1 male and 1 or 2 hens.
They go off together for the day and regroup at dusk to go roost in the barn.. If a hen disappears I think a male will accept another...They are not like geese that mate for life....

Guinea fowl are unlike chickens, especially when it comes to mating season. They DO have a laying and mating season. The hens will use the same nest to lay their eggs even if only one is fertile.

Male Guineas are vicious when it comes to their hens. They do not like other males to mate with what they consider their hens.

If you have ever seen Guinea males fight, you know what I mean.

I watched two of them go at it. I am pretty sure that a few did not survive the fight as I am missing two pearls, one has a bad limp and the "winner" is roosting with his hens.

There is really nothing you can do about it. You can not referee them all day. So to answer your question. I think death in the Guinea world is eventually accepted.

I think these birds are a marvel and i think they are very pretty birds.
I have three whites (i lost one recently) and these hens are gorgeous.

Thanks Rimshoes. I was not finding nests or they were not laying so I finally got them in a pen. They are laying in there but I am less certain that they are inclined to mate in the pen. I dont see a lot of fights nor marks on birds but I am sure something is going on in there. I am thinking about letting them out again during the day and hope I find eggs and that they get it all figured out. I am sure the one cock is mating with the hen that will likely be culled. She is the ugly one go figure. I hope he will mate with the others when she is gone.

I like them also. I have one very nice little pied one that is pretty cool looking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom