Gurgling chicken- lethargic behavior

Rockymountainroo

Hatching
Aug 21, 2023
Hey all! First time poster long time lurker!
I have a 4 month old black copper maran roo who is showing symptoms of sickness, and from what I've observed it sounds respiratory.

To make a long story short, we hatched him out from an egg, and had multiple roos from that batch. He ended up going to a rooster sanctuary over the weekend, but due to a change in our flock he ended up back with us. (It's complicated, just know he was around a ton of other birds from various locations)

Anyways, since he has been home for the past 2 days he has not really been interested in food. He's usually a treat oriented boy, but has shown little interest in food besides one particular treat. He is drinking normally and has rooster booster out into his water. He is gurgling, wheezing, hacking and has been having diarrhea. His breathing worsens when he sleeps. Despite this, his eyes look bright and alert, no nasal discharge, his face isn't swollen, he is preening, and overall acting chicken-y.

I've isolated him from the rest of the flock with food and water. His crop feels full despite not seeing him eat. I've tried holding him and massaging it, but no improvement.
Symptoms have been going on for 2 days, with today being the worst. His breath is a little stinky but I'm not sure if that's just his normal chicken breath or sign of sour crop.

Regardless, I'm at a loss of what it could possibly be and how to treat it. Do you guys think it is sour crop or something respiratory?

Welcome to BYC. I would not massage his crop right now. Hopefully, he hasn’t picked up a respiratory disease at the rooster sanctuary, since many chickens can get sick from being around carrier birds. The stress of the 2 moves could bring about symptoms. Crop disorders can cause food to back up from the crop into the throat and airway, and sound gurgly. What do you feed? Check his crop early in the morning before he has access to food or water. Does he have access to granite poultry grit or small pebbles? Give him plenty of water, and I would feed mushy chicken feed and no whole grains for a bit. What do his poops look like?

Do you see any clear or yellow drainage from his nostrils, watery eyes, bubbles or foam from his eyes? Keep him in quarantine until you know if he is sick or not. Tylan or Denagard are fine to give for respiratory diseases caused by MG. Coryza stinks, and sulfa antibiotics are more for that. If he is sick with one of those, I would be tempted to cull, and have the state vet do testing for whatever he had.

Welcome to BYC. I would not massage his crop right now. Hopefully, he hasn’t picked up a respiratory disease at the rooster sanctuary, since many chickens can get sick from being around carrier birds. The stress of the 2 moves could bring about symptoms. Crop disorders can cause food to back up from the crop into the throat and airway, and sound gurgly. What do you feed? Check his crop early in the morning before he has access to food or water. Does he have access to granite poultry grit or small pebbles? Give him plenty of water, and I would feed mushy chicken feed and no whole grains for a bit. What do his poops look like?

Do you see any clear or yellow drainage from his nostrils, watery eyes, bubbles or foam from his eyes? Keep him in quarantine until you know if he is sick or not. Tylan or Denagard are fine to give for respiratory diseases caused by MG. Coryza stinks, and sulfa antibiotics are more for that. If he is sick with one of those, I would be tempted to cull, and have the state vet do testing for whatever he had.
He is usually fed a basic grower feed because he is so young, but I'm unsure what he ate for the few days he was at the sanctuary. He is also given fresh fruits and veggies from our garden. He does have access to grit and small pebbles, we let him and the others out to free range in our yard.

His poop right now is runny and brown. Almost paste like. No blood or greenish hints. His eyes and nostrils are clear, no sign of foaming or watery-ness. I will wait til tomorrow to see if his crop clears to make a definite decision on what it is, but he hasn't eaten in probably 6 hours and it feels rather hard. (But again, I'll wait) Thank you for your input and advice! I appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom