Happy dance- coop is almost done!

Nice!
Will the roof be HC or solid?
Is it sloped for rain runoff?

The roof is 2x4 welded wire. Would have loved to do a solid roof but cost and permission from historic society (our property is protected, long story) were significant barriers. This will work for now, we can always go back and upgrade later if we feel it necessary.

The roof is 2x4 welded wire. Would have loved to do a solid roof but cost and permission from historic society (our property is protected, long story) were significant barriers. This will work for now, we can always go back and upgrade later if we feel it necessary.
Depending on the predators in your area, you may need to cover the 2x4 wire with hardware cloth.

Are you able to put up some kind of shade cloth? The girls will appreciate it on hot day.

Your coop and run are beautiful. Lots of room and ventilation. You will have some very happy cluckers.

Depending on the predators in your area, you may need to cover the 2x4 wire with hardware cloth.

Are you able to put up some kind of shade cloth? The girls will appreciate it on hot day.

Your coop and run are beautiful. Lots of room and ventilation. You will have some very happy cluckers.

Thanks! Yes will be looking into shade options for them, still quite a bit to do. The hardware cloth should be up on the sides Monday to make it bare minimum functional but finishing the final details will probably still take some time.

We are building a coop in my existing barn (circa 1800s) that presently houses my horse and 2 mini donkeys. Last weekend I cleaned out the area (was being used for random storage) and pulled down some shelving and boards to clear the area. We finished the shell today- it is now fully enclosed! Next I need to add roost bars and poop boards and then nest boxes. But I'm so thrilled with how this came out and had to share!!

All wood was reused from other areas of the barn and the green door was just in a pile in the attic of the barn- so the aesthetic is maintained and you would never know we just built it! :) I'll share more when things are further along.

Before: open storage area
In process: All cleared out ready to build
Now: coop is enclosed! Wood boards and hardware cloth top to bottom, and has an existing wood floor.
Love it!

That'll let all but the wettest snow thru, you can bang it clear from underneath.

Looks really nice!
Hardware cloth on the roof will hold snow, not a good thing. We had 2" chicken wire on the top of our original run, and it was fine. Not as safe, but kept the raptors out.
Eventually we had a real roof installed, much better!
Chickens hate the snow, and shoveling the run got really old too.
Mary

Snow was definitely a big consideration in selecting the 'roof' material! I'll see how things go through the winter when we get there and adjust in the future as needed.

Wanted to post a quick update on my run, I made a few more improvements to it yesterday adding some roosts for the girls. It's still not finished, there's some more detail and decorating work to do, but it is at least functional now, I'll get to other things as time allows. The run is about 16'x24'. I have 8 chickens now, but built for #chickenmath.

There is no apron around it yet but that is one of the improvements still to come, as well as some shade covering for them.

Attachments

• 20210810_100858.jpg
    20210810_100858.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210810_100151.jpg
    20210810_100151.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210810_100113.jpg
    20210810_100113.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom