Hard lump in throat above crop? Or am I just dumb?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, there.

Every morning, I check my girls' crops first thing. Today, they were all beautifully empty. However, I noticed my 17 week old brahma seemed to have a hard lump in her throat above her crop. I watched her for a while, and she was acting normally, went right to eating, scratching, bawking. She gets pellets but is allowed to free range in the afternoons. The lump is super firm, not squishy or malleable. I looked in her throat, and all looked normal. Could it be impacted crop? Or am I feeling her actual throat and overreacting? LOL! I'm pretty new at this, and I'm wondering if I just never noticed how her throat feels. I'd get a pic, but it wouldn't show anything.

Here is a drawing of the anatomy of the trachea which sits in front of the esophagus in the neck:
upload_2018-12-12_20-11-18.jpeg

To make sure they empty overnight and to check for any problems (like impacted crop, etc). I also check feet for bumblefoot, combs for color, eyes for clarity, nose for snot, poop for worms, blood, etc., vents for yuckiness... I want to catch any problems early. And I only have 4 pullets, so it's easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom