Hardware cloth under run?

Annewberry

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2020
Roseville CA
Seems like everyone will say I over-reacted, but I feel terrified of predators getting to my beautiful hens. So I rolled out 1/2” galvanized hardware cloth under my new run. I put in pea gravel and straw thinking the depth would protect their feet from the wire. But they scratch and peck down into the wire.
I don’t see any damage to feet or beaks, but am worried that there may be over time.
I could buy a couple of rolls of sod, but it has a plastic netting in It...
topsoil wouldn’t likely tamp down enough.

Advice? Please!

Would it be possible to bury the hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run? If not, you could put down a skirt around the outside of the run where the hardware cloth lays flat along the ground. This is what I did for my mobile chicken tractor.

Seems like everyone will say I over-reacted, but I feel terrified of predators getting to my beautiful hens. So I rolled out 1/2” galvanized hardware cloth under my new run. I put in pea gravel and straw thinking the depth would protect their feet from the wire. But they scratch and peck down into the wire.
I don’t see any damage to feet or beaks, but am worried that there may be over time.
I could buy a couple of rolls of sod, but it has a plastic netting in It...
topsoil wouldn’t likely tamp down enough.

Advice? Please!
OhBoy :( common misconception....chickens can dig deep!
Kinds too late now, would be a bear to remove the gravel and HC.

Don't use sod, not only because of the netting but it's often treated with chemicals(pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers).

Better to add some wood chippings, dry plant matter and build up the depth.

Post some pics of your run and maybe something else will come to mind.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Annewberry
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605132195464.png

I have 1/2" hardware cloth under my run as well. I just add regular topsoil and woodchips as needed, but I have not run into the issue of them reaching the bottom. How deep is the hardware cloth under the run? I used 2x12 lumber to frame the base and have about 8" of soil before the wire.

OhBoy :( common misconception....chickens can dig deep!
Kinds too late now, would be a bear to remove the gravel and HC.

Don't use sod, not only because of the netting but it's often treated with chemicals(pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers).

Better to add some wood chippings, dry plant matter and build up the depth.

Post some pics of your run and maybe something else will come to mind.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Annewberry
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2407852
Thanks! I can do that.🙂

I have 1/2" hardware cloth under my run as well. I just add regular topsoil and woodchips as needed, but I have not run into the issue of them reaching the bottom. How deep is the hardware cloth under the run? I used 2x12 lumber to frame the base and have about 8" of soil before the wire.
I can get up to 8”. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom