Has anyone had problems with cackle hatchery bantam easter eggers vents prolapsing?

ARTsignature

Chirping
Dec 7, 2021
I am looking for chicks to raise this year, and I really love bantam easter eggers. Cackle hatchery seems to have good quality birds, but when I read the reviews for the bantam EE, someone had an unfortunate experience with vent prolapsing. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this particular breed from cackle, or if it was only one person? I really don't want to buy birds that may have serious problems down the road. Any input on this would be helpful!

I am looking for chicks to raise this year, and I really love bantam easter eggers. Cackle hatchery seems to have good quality birds, but when I read the reviews for the bantam EE, someone had an unfortunate experience with vent prolapsing. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this particular breed from cackle, or if it was only one person? I really don't want to buy birds that may have serious problems down the road. Any input on this would be helpful!
Vent prolapses happen when a hen is trying to push out and egg and/or just kept pushing way more than necessary and prolapsed. I highly doubt that vent prolapsing is a genetic thing and that person’s bird just had a fluke accident.

I saw that review and would get EE Bantams from Ideal Poultry or somewhere else instead. I had the prolapsed vent problem in my Splash Silkie from Cackles. The thing about Cackles is they have very pretty birds, higher quality than average, but some lines are a hit or miss on vitality. People were having issues with the EE bantams in their second year consistently for anyone reading this.

Another weak cackle line is there Barred Old English Game Bantams, but a strong line would be their Mottled Japanese Bantams.

We've never had this issue, and have EE bantams from Cackle, along with other breeds, multiple times.
Vent prolapse can happen, and can be related to diet; a mineral imbalance, calcium deficiency, usually when whole grains are fed, with some birds picking out the yummy seeds and not getting a balanced diet. House birds can have the same problem.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom