Has ex-battery hen been abused? How to help?

Rachnicko

Songster
May 10, 2020
UK
We have a new hen in our flock... Suzie.
We offered her a home today whilst re-homing some cockerels we hatched over summer. We know she is an ex-battery hen, but I think she had a home since then, but they didn’t want her as she stopped laying, which is probably because she is moulting.

The problem is that she seems really scared of us. In fact, she cowers and backs away when I go to stroke her. It makes me think she may have been abused, or maybe she’s just really not used to humans. She runs away from us, but I did manage to catch her to put her in a coop tonight.

Our other chickens (currently 3 cockerels and 5 hens) are very tame, come when called, can easily be picked up and I’m pretty sure they enjoy a cuddle (for the most part).

Does anyone have any ideas how to tame Suzie?

Suzie is on her own at the moment (in her own run so she can be seen by the flock). I’m also wondering if it will help when she sees how friendly the rest of the flock are with us.

I’m sure it will be a case of ‘gently does it’ with her reaction so far. So I will try sitting near her and tempting her with treats. Is there anything else to do?

This is Suzie on the way home today...
EA904EC3-7F13-4115-B8ED-69DB572F13E1.jpeg

Chickens being prey animals are naturally fearful.

She doesn't know you yet or your intentions.

Even though I raised my birds from tiny chicks they still prefer NOT to be touched. They come to me when called, eat from my hand, help me dig in the garden, dust bathe right next to me but do not want handled, petted or touched.

It is totally normal.

Yes, that makes total sense.
To be honest, I’m probably a bit too friendly with the others, but we have had them from chicks too and they seem to like being handled every so often. Even the cockerels like a belly tickle! 😂

It’s more a case of being able to call her when I need to I guess, but I’m sure she’ll catch on when she gets used to things... and us!

Back
Top Bottom