Hatch or not?!

queenie_29

Chirping
Aug 11, 2021
NSW, Australia
Hello all, I have been wanting to hatch chicks forever. I finally have a broody 2yr old gal - gold laced wyandotte. I am considering buying some fertile eggs to set under her however am not sure if this is the right decision to make.

We are set up and equipped to have more chickens, but the only issue is that of all our chickens, she is the least hardy and has been known to have crop issues in the past, she is also bottom of the pecking order, but she is the sweetest of them all, and definitely the most comfortable around us. But we are a little nervous about letting her hatch, but this might just be because we never expected her to go broody.

Please let me know if you have any insight as to whether or not this is a good idea. Ideally we would let our brahma hatch because she would be such a great mama, but of course she hasn't been broody this summer (we live in Australia). Do we take what we can get and hatch now because situationally, we are better equipped now than we will be in a year, or do we wait for next summer and hope one of the others goes broody instead?

Thanks so much for your help!!

I would let her go ahead and sit if you’re ready for an expanded flock, including a plan on what to do with extra cockerels. You may want to have a backup incubator in case something goes wrong and she can’t/won’t sit the eggs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom