Hatchery Jersey Giants

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Black Jersey Giants from any of the large commercial hatcheries? I’m looking for large birds as close to standards as I can get. I understand a breeder would be the best bet but that is not in the budget at the moment. I’m not looking to show/sell birds. I’m looking to start a mixed flock of dual purpose birds(Black Jersey Giants, Australorps, and Turkens/Naked Necks 10 of each straight run) and I’m hoping to get some Giant Roos as sires strictly for sustainability. Again my focus is on size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Sandhill Preservation

Thank you. Murray McMurray was one of the hatcheries I was looking at. I’m just looking for larger birds. I know people who have bought JGs and they were no bigger than any other production egg layer. I have heard that Sand Hill Preservation has good breeding stock but can be a nightmare to deal with. I’ve also heard good things about Ideal Poultry. I just don’t want to have to buy chicks every year.
I got mine from Sandhill. Not a nightmare to deal with they are just like they say they are if you read their website. Sandhill doesn't over hatch all the time and kill what they don't sell like all hatcheries do. Only hatch what they have orders for so it's a waiting game.
I waited a couple months past when they said my hatch date was, called them, said having difficulty getting the black and blue langshans. I said the white jersey giants were the most important can u just substitute the langshans with whatever. They sent the giants out next week with red sussex and one langshan and one manx rumpy.
It's my opinion and many others that have naked necks Cackle hatchery is the very best source for them.
I'm now working on white giant/white naked neck crosses.

I got mine from Sandhill. Not a nightmare to deal with they are just like they say they are if you read their website. Sandhill doesn't over hatch all the time and kill what they don't sell like all hatcheries do. Only hatch what they have orders for so it's a waiting game.
I waited a couple months past when they said my hatch date was, called them, said having difficulty getting the black and blue langshans. I said the white jersey giants were the most important can u just substitute the langshans with whatever. They sent the giants out next week with red sussex and one langshan and one manx rumpy.
It's my opinion and many others that have naked necks Cackle hatchery is the very best source for them.
I'm now working on white giant/white naked neck crosses.
Thank you to all who have shared their input/experience. I’m new to this forum thing but I believe you can all see this. Not sure. I check in here when I can but don’t have much free time. I will have to get in touch with Sandhill because I have heard that they have really nice Giants. As with anything in a forum setting, as I’m learning, there are a lot of opinions about everything and some people just love to share their bad experiences. It’s a lot of information to sort through. I am looking to cross the Giants with naked necks as well. Thank you again to all of you. I’m very appreciative of all the information.

Back
Top Bottom