Hatching and introducing baby chicks

Jan 12, 2021
I currently have a broody (about 2 year old) hen. I was thinking I could give her some eggs to hatch and keep the baby chicks. I've never done that before and was wondering how to do that... Do I need to take away the chicks once they hatch? Or can they just stay with the mama and the two other chickens she currently lives with? Do I just give her some eggs or how do I do that? How do I ensure to take the non fertilized eggs the chickens will still lay? Is there a way to make sure they wont eat the fertilized eggs? Thank You!

I currently have a broody (about 2 year old) hen. I was thinking I could give her some eggs to hatch and keep the baby chicks. I've never done that before and was wondering how to do that... Do I need to take away the chicks once they hatch? Or can they just stay with the mama and the two other chickens she currently lives with?
I let the chicks stay with momma. A lot less work, naturally integrated into flock, momma will generally take care of them.
However, not all broody hens will look after their chicks, or others may attack them, so be wary of that.
Do I just give her some eggs or how do I do that?
You should be able to just slip them under her.
How do I ensure to take the non fertilized eggs the chickens will still lay?
I mark the fertile eggs, then just gather laid eggs daily, leaving the marked eggs.
Is there a way to make sure they wont eat the fertilized eggs? Thank You!
I mean, there’s always the chance they’ll eat them, but generally that doesn’t happen (at least for me)

Do be aware that
a) broody hens won’t always be good mothers. They may reject chicks, or not care for them well. But it really depends on the chicken.
B) there’s always the chance something sad will happen. I had a broody take her chicks out, and later found one dead in the run because it got too cold
C) you’ll likely end up with 50% roosters and 50% hens, so make sure to have a plan if you don’t want all the roosters.
D) if the eggs are shipped, then there’s often a lower chance of viability, so try to make sure the eggs are either ones you can pickup, or aren’t shipped very far.

Back
Top Bottom