hatching

robinh

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
missouri
once the egg is cracked, and the chic is starting to come out, what is the normal length of time that it takes for them to come out, and if they are in there a really long time, can you help them out? cuz i have heard that sometimes you have to help them out, but im not sure how long is too long?

I'm not sure how long it takes for them to fully hatch on their own, but yes, sometimes they are a little dried up and have a hard time coming out of the shell. You can help them out by carefully removing the shell from them and then drying them off.

okay, thanks, i didnt want to take it out to early and harm it and i didnt want to leave it in there to long and take a chance on it not surviving! but if anyone one knows exactly how long is too long, please let me know!

robinh, it can take up to 24hrs for the chick to hatch after it srarts to pip. Actually you can do more harm by helping, causing bleeding etc.... Best to wait and see. If you should have one with a dry membrane that can't make it out on it's own, then apply warm water with a eye dropper on the inside of the shell to moisten and help the peep to get out. Pulling on shells before they are ready can cause lots of problems.

bigzio

thanksa million, this is the second time you have helped me out since i have became a member and thanks again!!

robinh, avoid the temptation of constantly opening the incubator. It is possible to chill the eggs and drastically lower the humidity thereby ruining what could be a good hatch.

After the peeps hatch, they will be wet and need to stay in the incubator for 12 to 24 hours until they fluff out. Glad to help out!

bigzo

my incubator has windows, so i dont need to open, i only open to put more water in it to keep the humidity in there, but thank you. i am slowly learning and there was nothing better than watching the little one come out the other day. but thank u for everyting and i am open to any new information, the more the better,because like i said im an amateur!

Back
Top Bottom