Have a question regarding runs and mink

Archdork

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
I recently lost my entire remaining adult flock to a mink (had also recently lost my annoying but awesome roo as well as his best girl to an eagle on different days)

The mink attack got me. I wasn’t particularly attached to those chickens but it seemed so mean and senseless. Plus I’ve a bunch of babies (5/6 weeks old) that had just moved out to the coop in a brooder box so I’m just feeling extra vulnerable for them as the girls were supposed to show them how things are done around here lol. Thankfully the littles were safe… I’ve got more hatching in a couple days as well…

Anyway, I’ll be able to fortify the coop and fix the hole. Im not worried about that but what I AM worried about is their run. It’s open with just 2x4 welded wire fencing and now fishing net above for the flying predators. I feel the mink will just come back during the day and murder everyone. There’s at least a chance of it happening I guess.

My question is if anyone utilizes having a fortified covered smaller run that the chickens would have access to anytime their door is open along with going out to a more open run when you’re home doing things outside? A bit more supervision? Would that even be worth doing? Or should I take some chances and just hope for the best? I can’t afford to cover and fortify their whole run… and also want them to enjoy having the extra space. Just feeling really torn on the direction I should take.

Thanks in advance!

I lost three of my four original hens to a mink -- which came back and took a duck the next day. Please don't "just hope for the best." A mink will always come back to easy pickings.

If you can only afford a smaller covered run, do that. I have spent a fortune on hardware cloth since the massacre here.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your adult flock. Best wishes with the babies and the hatch.

I lost three of my four original hens to a mink -- which came back and took a duck the next day. Please don't "just hope for the best." A mink will always come back to easy pickings.

If you can only afford a smaller covered run, do that. I have spent a fortune on hardware cloth since the massacre here.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your adult flock. Best wishes with the babies and the hatch.

Thank you! And yes- my gut is to do a smaller run but also want to let them roam a bit more if we’re around. Do you think that’d be ok? Lol. I’m nervous as heck. This shook my confidence

My chickens, ducks and geese are housed very close to my house, I can hear them throughout the day and DASH outside if anything even remotely sounds amiss.

I coop them at night and allow them out to walk around freely during the day, but only when I am home. Even though all of my runs are built with hardware-cloth walls and tops, and with hardware cloth aprons around the bottom, I ALWAYS coop everybody when I am leaving the property.

I totally understand having your confidence shaken. I slept on the sofa with the living room windows open -- during the middle of winter -- for a great many nights after the massacre.

Back
Top Bottom