Have you ever seen this behavior before? Should I be concerned? Seramas in the nest bix...

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
This evening, when “tucking my chickens into bed“ as my family jokingly says, I noticed less Seramas in the serama coop. It didn’t take long to find 9 serama hens all inside one nesting box, piled , woven, and squished on top of one another. Since it’s been rather springtime-like weather lately there have been an increase in eggs and about 3 girls going broody, but this was crazy. For as adorable and funny spectacle this was, should I be concerned? I decided to leave them in there since we have a cold front coming through this evening- I thought maybe they would be more comfortable in there, and I know from experience if I take a broody out they will just go back in anyway, so I left them as is.
I have two extra large nesting boxes in there, plus there are 3 other ”hide-away” places in the coop they have often nested in...so it’s not that I don’t have enough nesting areas for them. 5 serama hens can fit comfortably in one, and often I will find two or three broodies in one together. Has anyone ever seen their birds do such a thing? And could this signify something wrong or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Wish I had a picture to share...they were all so cute!

I don't think anything to be concerned about. Most likely just coincidence. I have 2 Seramas myself. One I think is on the edge of being broody. I do not have a rooster BTW, so it would be a worthless activity.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom