Have You Had Success Rehoming a Bullied Hen?

Northof26

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2023
Have you had success rehoming a hen? Our Opal Legbar has been bullied the whole time since the establishment of this flock. The rooster has injured her terribly, and she is recovering in our shop. We had been discussing whether to send her to friends of ours with Isa browns … in hopes she can lead a normal chicken life. My husband is worried she will get bullied there as well and suggests building a new coop and adding a couple silkies with her.

Or do u think if we pull two from the her current it would be a better idea?

The other option is get rid of the rooster.., my husbands idea . But the rooster is not aggressive only doing rooster things. My husband has the problem I think he doesn’t understand rooster behaviour and is creating a problem . When he was rescuing the injured chicken the rooster went after him, which is what a good rooster should do, and one time he puffed up and my. Husband then went to pet him which I don’t do with my chickens .. so he jumped on his arm.. and then my husband didn’t like he was mating a hen he thought he was hurting her lol and he yanked him off in the midst of it.. I think we know who is causing the problem between those two! What do u all think?

Attachments

• IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5031.jpeg
    IMG_5031.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 13
I need to start with saying that I have no experience with a hen that is bullied so badly. I have been reading this on a Dutch chicken site.:
First let the poor hen heal.
Make/buy a new coop for a small flock. If the hen has cured? Put her and another chicken with a gentle character in the new coop. Maybe a new chicken or a hen from your flock. Let them live together for at least 6 weeks. After that you can add two more hens or you try to integrate.
Or…
If you know someone who has a friendly and lonely hen you can give her away to join the lonely hen.

I need to start with saying that I have no experience with a hen that is bullied so badly. I have been reading this on a Dutch chicken site.:
First let the poor hen heal.
Make/buy a new coop for a small flock. If the hen has cured? Put her and another chicken with a gentle character in the new coop. Maybe a new chicken or a hen from your flock. Let them live together for at least 6 weeks. After that you can add two more hens or you try to integrate.
Or…
If you know someone who has a friendly and lonely hen you can give her away to join the lonely hen.
Thank you SO much for finding this for me 😊

Back
Top Bottom