Hawk Attack Treatment

ascott11

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Today I had a chicken get attacked by a hawk. She has two wounds about the size of a quarter which I put antibacterial ointment on and sprayed blukote on as well. I went ahead and wrapped it as well, but since the wound is right near her leg and thigh it was difficult to wrap without making it hard for her to walk. I didn’t think of taking pictures of the wounds until after I sprayed the blu-kote so they’re hard to see. I have her separated from the flock tonight inside since she was just panting a ton from what I assumed was stress. She ate an entire strawberry and is pecking at the wrap so I know she isn’t in too much pain. She also was out walking around with the other chickens and it wasn’t until I noticed her hiding that she was hurt.

I had a hen get attacked by a hawk previously and since it was my first chicken injury, I immediately took her to the vet for stitches. I was wondering if you all thought that necessary? Or will her wounds heal if I continue the ointment and blu-kote? I hope to have her with her friends tomorrow, since I think she will be more stressed being separated. I have a large dog crate set up next to the chicken run I plan to put her in first and then in the evening have them all out free ranging with supervision.

I think she would be less stressed outside with her friends if she is eating and drinking. Just make sure they don't peck at her. Good luck!!

She shouldn't need stitches. My girl got attacked by a bobcat and we just put SuperSilver and hydrogen peroxide and wrapped it on her. Her wound was about the size of a pear, and she healed up just fine. Hope she is ok! :hugs

Last edited:
She shouldn't need stitches. My girl got attacked by a bobcat and we just put SuperSilver and hydrogen peroxide and wrapped it her. Her wound was about the size of a pear, and she healed up just fine. Hope she is ok! :hugs
Oh my gosh I couldn’t imagine that! I still can’t believe I am so attached to chickens but here I am, worrying to death over one. I knew it was a hawk when my Roos were going crazy. Even saw it fly away and watch me as I counted all of them. I can’t believe how hardy they can be. I would never think one could survive a bobcat attack. Yours is a little miracle!!

chickens are resilient little things… my girl not only survived a major dog attack but she has survived 3 and now she has won her very 1st show…
hope Your little one is ok lots of tlc and keep her calm and warm…

Oh my gosh I couldn’t imagine that! I still can’t believe I am so attached to chickens but here I am, worrying to death over one. I knew it was a hawk when my Roos were going crazy. Even saw it fly away and watch me as I counted all of them. I can’t believe how hardy they can be. I would never think one could survive a bobcat attack. Yours is a little miracle!!
I hate hawks 😒

Back
Top Bottom