Hawk attacked 2 year old duck

Vickihollis

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
My 2 year old rouen duck was attacked in her pool. She is drinking water, but not eating. Her left side seems to be affected. She can stand for a moment, but tends to fall to that left side as if her leg can't hold her up for long. Should I put her in the carrier and bring her inside so the other ducks and chickens will leave her alone? What about putting her in a warm bath?

Pictures will help. I'm not super experienced here but I know pics will help people who know more. You might want to have a vet look at her from the sounds of it. Hoping she heals! :hugs :fl

My 2 year old rouen duck was attacked in her pool. She is drinking water, but not eating. Her left side seems to be affected. She can stand for a moment, but tends to fall to that left side as if her leg can't hold her up for long. Should I put her in the carrier and bring her inside so the other ducks and chickens will leave her alone? What about putting her in a warm bath?
You could put her in a warm bath with ebsom salt to relax her muscles

Check her very thoroughly. I’ve dealt with hawks a lot. Lost quite a few unfortunately. Hawk talons with make very small incisions, but deep enough to cause damage. And wether or not she is injured, a hawk attack is traumatizing. If she isn’t injured, give her some time and treats and she should perk back up.

We think our two year Pekin survived a hawk grab. We’re keeping her wounds clean. It’s been five days and she’s been very quiet and isn’t eating. Day four she ventured out into the yard with me and the dogs but didn’t really forage. She’s spending most days on our deck under cover of our camp stove or inside the house and nights inside. She’s a picky eater (won’t eat lettuce, watermelon, peas, mint, basil, etc). Sometimes she’ll eat spinach and sardines. She won’t eat any of that now. Her favorite treat is dried worms. She won’t even eat those. Could she still be in shock? The wounds seem to be healing nicely. TIA

I wouldn't put it in water. Check it over good for puncture marks. They'll be fairly small, but deep. Betadine solution is great to wash them out, then put triple antibiotic ointment. You can put hay in the carrier for bedding, water, and feed. That should keep it calm, and restrict activity, at least for tonight.

Back
Top Bottom