Hawk family in my yard/neighborhood... so cool

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
there is a hawk family in my yard and I hear them every morning and have even seen them a few times. They are so cool. They have been here for years I think. So I have known hawks are in the vicinity and have seen them before but this is the first time (at least that I can remember) I have actually seen the babies. The other day I saw the parent (mommy or daddy idk which probably mama hawk) and 2 babies fly out of the yard one at a time and heard them a few times so idk it must have been a hunting lesson or flying lesson or something. They babies are pretty big now and obviously can fly now but they still have their immature baby coloring so I don't know how old they are. And the babies have definately mastered screaming now (so they can scream at mom and dad like they did the other day when leaving the nest, and scare other birds like one baby did when leaving the nest on the same day haha lol) although it's not quite perfected yet, theirs is more of a scream while mom and dad's is the typical high pitched hawk shreik so babies still have a little bit of work to do on the sound of their scream/shreik although they definately know how haha lol. Anyways it's so cool to see/hear the hawks and their babies and see them flying around and stuff. It's so cool that they are here and it's awesome when you see them fly out and/or circle and hear them calling to each other and stuff. It's so cool when you see and hear them do all kinds of hawk stuff like flying, circling, screaming, perching in trees, hunting/eating, etc. It's just so cool/awesome. And of course its also pretty cool to know you are helping out the hawk population and witnessing/seeing the next generation of hawks being raised right in your front yard, that's pretty amazing. I am pretty sure they are Red-Tailed Hawks, in fact I am like almost certain cause when ever you see hawks around they are often Red-tailed Hawks. They are so awesome and amazing, they really are truely beautiful and amazing and intelligent and graceful creatures and I just have so much respect for them now more than before I guess. They are just so beautiful and graceful, and the way they just soar through the trees and glide with ease is just breathtaking and simply amazing/beautiful. And in fact I can hear them right now as I type, I really need to get a laptop so I sit outside and hear/see the nature and hawks while I type so I can multitask haha lol. Of course the other animals and birds and wildlife is also cool and amazing and stuff but hawks and birds of prey are just fantastic. Sorry I am going on and on about the hawks and stuff, I just think they are so cool. Does anyone else have hawks and/or other cool wildlife including birds (they are wildlife too)? that would be so cool. Please feel free to share and comment and stuff. thanks.

I have Redtails, a Merlin whom I haven't seen in a while, red foxes, coyotes, raccoons, possums, skunks, crows, blue jays, sparrows, robins, wrens, and cardinals all that visit...

One of my blue jays imitates the hawk's call...

I've had a face full of Redtailed baby when he got my Silkie/Cochin mix, Miss MoneyPenny...
sad.png

It is such a mixed joy seeing a hawk in the sky "floating" like a balloon on the thermals. I adore raptors yet love my hens!
We have had a juvinille Bald Eagle in our apple tree, Red Tails, owls, chicken hawks, and even a osprey stopped by long enough to see that we were seated within the round of chickens.
(People say Osprey do not eat chicken...I don't want to find out!)
We also have the other types of preditors such as raccoon, fox, coyotes, skunks (grain and eggs), and the area even has Mt. Lion's.
But they are all in nature and I wish they could live in peace with our chickens!(and other fowl).

You know there is always one poster that is a jerk and this time I guess it's me.

I started to read your post and gave up. Paragraphs. Reading a block of text is just about impossible without a ruler to keep track of what line you are on.

Hope you are not upset and if you are, I heard that watching hawks fly around is relaxing!

hide.gif

I have red tails around here; Im sure they are eyeballing my birds. In fact the other day I was in my kitchen, and watched one come down and grab one of my youngsters. I ran outside and scared him off; the baby was too big for him to carry off. Baby was scared but none worse for the wear.

That being said, Im so glad I have them here. I love, too, to watch them flying. Unfortunately the only time it seems that I see them flying is when the crows are chasing them, so Im glad I have the crows. I get very few stealth attacks; the crows out them before they can get a snack down here. I do keep netting over the babies and only let them out when Im out, as I dont want to lose any.

But I love the raptors, too. Theres plenty of food around here to keep everyone fat and happy.

Quote:
Yeah halo: we have crows too and they also chase the hawks I once witnessed the hawk being chased/scared off by the crow and it was so funny to see such a big bad hawk being chased off by a little crow which the hawk probably could've eaten for lunch, the hawk was like twice the size of the crow or whatever the size difference is, haha lol. I wonder if the crow was protecting his babies or just felt like chasing the hawk away (at the time I thought/assumed the crow was defending his nest but now I am not so sure). everyone: We also have hawks/birds of prey, coyotes, racoons, skunks, fox (red but there used to be a siver fox too but idk if he is still here, I think they are all the same species Red Fox but just different coloring), squirrlls, rabbits, loads of birds,frogs, salmanders, turtles, ducks, geese, deer, fish, etc. Some of these animals are the animals in the neighborhood/area although most do come to visit. We have a pond down the street so that's where most of the aquatic animals I mentioned come from. We also have wild turkeys. The birds include chickadees, finches, sparrows, robins, cardinals, woodpeckers, nuthatchers, swallows, etc. We also have bats. And we also have had the occasional owl but I have not seen/heard them in a while and I don't know where they went. And I love them all! I love nature and wildlife and outdoors and stuff. haha lol. Also I wonder, could a hawk take a cat? I ask cause I worry about my cat with this hawk family around and stuff. My dad thinks my cat could give him a good swipe with his massive paws and the hawk would drop him, but I don't know, I am not too sure about that. What do you guys think?

We have LOTS of Red Tails and Owls around our place now, and I see little birds chasing the hawks in the sky. . .gutsy little guys. One swoop or sweep of his wing or claw and that would be the end of the little bird. I hear Owls, LOVE them. . .it has been many years since they have come back in force like they have. No rabbits around since they have either.

I also love raptors! Hope I never have to choose between them and my chickens tho.
We live 1/2 mile from a river, up on the bluffs; and 5 miles from a large reservoir and have a lot of fly-overs at dawn and dusk. I love the blue herons, the geese going out to feed, and the red-tails are my special buddies.
There's a canyon where the hawks nest so we have gotten to see them raising babies for the past 6-7 years. It thrills me every time!
This past winter at the res. we also saw ospreys, bald eagles, and pelicans. Not too bad for the edge of desert country!

Back
Top Bottom