Hawk question

FloridaChickenChick

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Lake County, Florida
One of my girls (4 weeks old at the time) was left outside of the run for an afternoon...I understand how it happened and have hollered long and loud enough that I don't think it will happen again. But here's the thing...when I got home that afternoon, there was a hawk up in a tree. As soon as I got out of the truck I heard him calling...normally I love seeing hawks around but now of course, it's different. Fortunately, my little wyandotte was running alongside the side of the run with the other girls inside...it was hard to tell she wasn't inside and I guess the hawk was sitting up there trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

When my girls are full grown, will hawks be a problem for them? Do hawks take full grown chickens? I have RIRs and wyandottes and EEs. We're making a fenced yard for them but I'm wondering if they'll be safe.

I can imagine hawks can do full grown chickens. I've seen them pick up bantums and take them away. We've had a couple of 'chicken' hawks in our neighborhood for many years. (the neighborhood to the south has many free range chickens). This year when a new development went in where the hawks hung out I haven't seen them. Will probably have more chickens running around the neighborhood this year.

Yeah, hawks can probably take full-grown chickens. But one time at my friend's house we were walking by his chickens (they free-range) and there was a hawk walking around with them and it looked like he was eating their food as well!
big_smile.png

A hawk will attack a chicken, kill it, eat what it can if it can not carry it away. Part of the bird of prey's instinct is the take down, so just be on the look out. They will attack.

Back
Top Bottom