Hawks or something else?

Amiti

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2016
Plato, Missouri
I have lost most of my guinea. And all during the day. I have found feather piles here n there - at least 4 were on the edge of the yard... A couple times I have lost 2-4 in a day. I live in a VERY rural area (my dog went in heat 1 time n didn't get bred that's how rural) surrounded by national forest in Missouri. I know there are bears and a mountain lion (confirmed in this county) and I have shot more than 1 raccoon. I have tons of large predatory birds... Owls, hawks and bald eagles... Any ideas how to keep them safe without caging? I have lost 23 of 26 guinea. Feeling devastated.

I have lost most of my guinea. And all during the day. I have found feather piles here n there - at least 4 were on the edge of the yard... A couple times I have lost 2-4 in a day. I live in a VERY rural area (my dog went in heat 1 time n didn't get bred that's how rural) surrounded by national forest in Missouri. I know there are bears and a mountain lion (confirmed in this county) and I have shot more than 1 raccoon. I have tons of large predatory birds... Owls, hawks and bald eagles... Any ideas how to keep them safe without caging? I have lost 23 of 26 guinea. Feeling devastated.
I'm so sorry 😔, my guess would be fox. Raccoons are night hunters, not sure if hawks would be able to lift a guinea to carry away.

I lost my guinea flock to foxes 😭

I'm so sorry 😔, my guess would be fox. Raccoons are night hunters, not sure if hawks would be able to lift a guinea to carry away.

I lost my guinea flock to foxes 😭
I haven't seen any... I hadn't thought of them. Will they come around a dog? Granted, she is only 40 lbs, but she is bigger than a fox I think...

I would think fox before hawk.
I have lost a few guineas to a fox and found the feather piles as you've described. They're very smart. They're not necessarily deterred by dogs and can snag a bird very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom