Head tilt to the right resting on shoulder and slightly moving head side to side

Dec 18, 2023
Hi All

I have a rescued hen who is very poorly; she has had compact crop which then went to semi sour crop - can't seem to get rid of all that is in her crop. She is very miserable but feisty when trying to medicate......... She has her head resting on her shoulder and is constantly moving it about 1cm twitching almost. She is on anti-biotics and I have given her Nettex B complex - definitely something going on in the brain - her poos aren't great watery with little food but then she hasn't eaten because of crop problems. We gave organic apple cider vinegar in water yesterday and she did a huge splatty poo. One thing I haven't done is check for mites which I will do after writing this. She has only been out of the dire conditions she was in 8 days so would like to try as much as I an for her. We did give raw eggs as they all kept breaking them could that cause problems? Did think of coccidiosis too as muddy conditions?

You may also want to add vitamin E 400 IU daily for possible wry neck symptoms. Many conditions can slow the crop from emptying, and those include reproductive disorders, worms, intestinal infection, and water belly (ascites.) It might not hurt to worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, and treat with liquid Corid 2 tsp per gallon for 5 days for possible coccidiosis. Check her crop first thing in morning to see if it is emptying. Here is a good article on crop treatment:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you. Her crop has not been emptying, so have given organic a.c.vinegar. I am in Wales (U.K) have never heard of the 2 wormers you have said but will look. Yes definitely wry neck so she is on B vit complex which has E and A too. Not reproductive, or ascites could be worms or coccidiosis; how much of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer do I give?

Thank you. Her crop has not been emptying, so have given organic a.c.vinegar. I am in Wales (U.K) have never heard of the 2 wormers you have said but will look. Yes definitely wry neck so she is on B vit complex which has E and A too. Not reproductive, or ascites could be worms or coccidiosis; how much of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer do I give?
Oh, let me see what I can find for your area.

Panacur is the same ingredient as SafeGuard but the %may be different. They sell a 10% liquid and a horse paste that is different. Your livestock feed store might sell it.

Hi thank you, yes they do sell it. If it's not coccidiosis or worms but I treat her for both is that bad for her healthwise? There aren't any visible signs of coc's in her poos

Back
Top Bottom