Heartbroken Bantam Rooster

LaurieJoanna

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
His name is Napoleon, and he's my little man. I call him my magical chaaaken bc the woman I got the hatching eggs from had given the father back, and he was the last egg, and the only one that actually hatched (fully assisted, courtesy of this site)! So, he's my boy - a lee~tle pigeon sized rooster that looks like and thinks he's a game rooster... He's hilarious, and I absolutely adore him.

He went everywhere with me - I even brought him along to reset the AirBnB space that I was running at the time. Since he was the only baby, I went up to Tractor Supply and got a few bantam chicks so he would have some company, bc I had to face the fact that I'm just not a chicken, and he needed *more*. He chose a "girlfriend" from the clutch and they were inseparable! She started coming with him when I'd reset the space, and they were bound at the hip - I called her "his b*tch", but her name was Teegra.

Suffice it to say that my closest friend passed away (I was an absolute wreck) and one of the layers of protection I use to prevent the coons from getting ahold of my chaaakenz wasn't put into place *one night* and she was severely injured - as in, there was no saving her... Napoleon was just looking at her with this forlorn countenance - he knew it was bad. A friend of mine had to put her down... Napoleon stayed in the house with me for a couple of days, and he's been relatively okay, but hasn't found another fave...

We're in West Texas, and the freeze that just passed over us kinda freaked me out, bc he started acting weird. I thought he was just cold, so I brought him inside for the night, but then tonight (it wasn't even below 55°) he'd waited for me to come lock everyone up and came out of the coop to me, and he's with me in the car right now. I think he's really lonely, even though he has all of those others in there with him! I can't bear the thought of him dying of a broken heart...

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me for sake of him, I would really appreciate any advice at all! As I said, he's my boy, and I truly do adore the lee~tle brat... Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
His name is Napoleon, and he's my little man. I call him my magical chaaaken bc the woman I got the hatching eggs from had given the father back, and he was the last egg, and the only one that actually hatched (fully assisted, courtesy of this site)! So, he's my boy - a lee~tle pigeon sized rooster that looks like and thinks he's a game rooster... He's hilarious, and I absolutely adore him.

He went everywhere with me - I even brought him along to reset the AirBnB space that I was running at the time. Since he was the only baby, I went up to Tractor Supply and got a few bantam chicks so he would have some company, bc I had to face the fact that I'm just not a chicken, and he needed *more*. He chose a "girlfriend" from the clutch and they were inseparable! She started coming with him when I'd reset the space, and they were bound at the hip - I called her "his b*tch", but her name was Teegra.

Suffice it to say that my closest friend passed away (I was an absolute wreck) and one of the layers of protection I use to prevent the coons from getting ahold of my chaaakenz wasn't put into place *one night* and she was severely injured - as in, there was no saving her... Napoleon was just looking at her with this forlorn countenance - he knew it was bad. A friend of mine had to put her down... Napoleon stayed in the house with me for a couple of days, and he's been relatively okay, but hasn't found another fave...

We're in West Texas, and the freeze that just passed over us kinda freaked me out, bc he started acting weird. I thought he was just cold, so I brought him inside for the night, but then tonight (it wasn't even below 55°) he'd waited for me to come lock everyone up and came out of the coop to me, and he's with me in the car right now. I think he's really lonely, even though he has all of those others in there with him! I can't bear the thought of him dying of a broken heart...

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me for sake of him, I would really appreciate any advice at all! As I said, he's my boy, and I truly do adore the lee~tle brat... Thank you in advance!

Maybe he just isn't ready to move on and will, in time, find another favorite girl. With my chickens, I've found that trauma of any kind sometimes requires a period of adjustment -- mourning, maybe. And, all have eventually chosen new friends.

In the meantime, he's a lucky boy to have you taking care of him.

BTW, his attack on the crushed red can made me laugh out loud. I have a Bantam Cochin rooster who has spent time seriously flogging a water jug. The little ones can be so fierce!

Back
Top Bottom