Heat Lamp Hatching - In Process, but Stalled

lcraigmoore

Hatching
May 10, 2023
I am trying to hatch one chick using a heat lamp. The chick has broken a hole in the shell, and I can see her head and beak, and she's peeping (at times, quite loud and energetically!), but she hasn't broken any more of the shell for at least 2 hours. It's my neighbor's chick, and I know nothing about any of this other than what I have read tonight. I suggested we take the chick into the bathroom and turn on the shower to raise the temperature and humidity, she now the chick is over here in my shower, and I am doing the same thing, but the chick hasn't seemed to make any attempts to break any more of the shell. How warm should the room be, and what should the humidity be at this stage? I'm concerned about "shrink wrap."

This is concerning because humidity needs to be higher once the egg pips. 65-70%
With a heat lamp that's really difficult to control the exact temperature and it's a dry heat.
A bathroom could get humid enough but not warm enough. 99.5 degrees is the target. If she gets too cold she will sleep instead of hatching, and even die.

Here's what I did when a broody rejected a pipped egg to focus on her hatchlings. I held the egg in my hands because human body heat is just about right. The humidity wasn't right but I live in a humid climate so it wasn't lower than 50%. And I'm sure my hands added to it. The chick hatched in about 4 hours, so it was a labor of love, but worth it. I've heard of people putting eggs in bras too.

Back
Top Bottom