Heat source for chicks

I have used a reptile bulb aka ceramic heat emitter. These bulbs fit in a clamp light fixture. They emit heat but no light. What’s nice about that is the chicks sleep all night.
It only keeps the area directly under it warm. The rest of the brooder is the ambient temp, which mimics a mama hen.
View attachment 3442409View attachment 3442417
I was thinking about getting one of these bulbs but wasn't sure if it would fit in the clamp fixture.

For my chicks I use an incandescent bulb, no fire or over heating risk… I keep it low to the floor of the brooder so that if they get cold they can go under it which they only do when sleepy.
I do plan to get a lifted heating mat, so they can also go under that when they get cold like they would a mother hen.

I didn’t start using the incandescent till this year and I agree the red lamps were always worrisome to use, I now use one in my coop since it kills bacteria but never with chicks

Attachments

• IMG_6857.jpeg
    IMG_6857.jpeg
    656.5 KB · Views: 1
The only concern with a heat plate is the first week or so. I certainly wouldn't want to encourage a lamp with your past, but something to supplement the heat plate atleast for a few days is a good idea.

I had a house fire growing up so I do not want to use the red heat lamps whatsoever.
Sorry to hear that. I have used heat lamps in the past with no problems. I totally understand why some prefer other methods.❤
If someone decides to use a heat lamp= keep it free of dust, clean it occasionally, have a guard on it, hang it and then secure it with a chain or wire. Don't rely on clamp alone. With the heat plate it should be above chips not touching them. Mamma heating pad one as well- keep it from chips.💓
Anything can be dangerous, good to always be cautious.
So far my chicks are comfortable in 80 degree temps, rarely use the broader plate.
I have a ceramic bulb 100 watt. And a brooder plate.
I use the red heat lamp in the coop on severe cold nights below zero. It is hung by chains and a wire along w a clamp. Cleaned bi weekly from dust build and metal light.
I also use a timer so it goes off after a few hours.

Anyway, I think its important to be safe. Married to a firefighter 💓

I was thinking about getting one of these bulbs but wasn't sure if it would fit in the clamp fixture.
I like the ceramic bulb as well, 100 watt. No light and fits fine -
Uses less energy. My friend used an incandescent 100 watt bulb. Trouble is finding an incandescent bulb, the led bulbs do not produce enough heat.
I got my bulb on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom