Heat stroke and possibly upper respiratory issue. Guidance šŸ™šŸ¼

chrissy528

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
Happy belated 4th all!

So my hen who is my favorite and bonded to me, had a rough day yesterday. We live in Az and our heat just jumped 10 degrees this week. Flora was having a very hard time yesterday. The rest of the flock seems fine.

I am watering the sand run morning and afternoon. They have misters, I put mint in their ice water, the have a kiddy pool with soil in it I water down 2 times a day, and have a saucer of cold water they can step in.

This is their first summer. Yesterday morning Flora was her normal self in every way. She laid her egg and all was good. I check on her at 445 pm and she seemed like she was in shock but also struggling with the heat. I cooled her feet first in the water before being her directly in the house with ac. Due to the holiday I donā€™t have electrolytes so I gave her yellow Gatorade which seems to have helped a bit. Yesterday she took 10 mls. 5ml then an hour later another 5ml. She has pooped for me and did a big pee with all the white. She made it through the night.

Yesterday I had to put her head down and help clear out her croup. She kept trying to keep something down but I think itā€™s cause she gorged on water. It was thick bile that came up. Nothing tangled. So no blockage.

She was cough a little yesterday after I did that but hasnā€™t coughed since. I am worried about a possible respiratory issue because I am hearing very mild wheezing occasionally. Can anyone advise on this?

Heat stroke, she is still very lethargic and sleepy. I woke up and checked on her and it seems she tried to eat a bit. She can stand but isnā€™t wanting to walk unless she has too. Her comb and wattle is getting some color back but it still very light and not supple. Her earlobes are white still. Normally they have a pink color.

Through her recovery ā¤ļøā€šŸ©¹ I have learned she does like to watch tv. šŸ¤£ This is why I love this girl! This morning snuggles in pics below.

Attachments

• 71025715902__65D0EA3E-E826-49ED-9C1E-C0612E4F325C.jpeg
    71025715902__65D0EA3E-E826-49ED-9C1E-C0612E4F325C.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9257.jpeg
    IMG_9257.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 5
Flora sounds like sheā€™s struggling a bit with the heat, but it also sounds like youā€™re doing everything you can. The bile sounds like she drank too much water too fast. She might just need time. Good luck.

Happy belated 4th all!

So my hen who is my favorite and bonded to me, had a rough day yesterday. We live in Az and our heat just jumped 10 degrees this week. Flora was having a very hard time yesterday. The rest of the flock seems fine.

I am watering the sand run morning and afternoon. They have misters, I put mint in their ice water, the have a kiddy pool with soil in it I water down 2 times a day, and have a saucer of cold water they can step in.

This is their first summer. Yesterday morning Flora was her normal self in every way. She laid her egg and all was good. I check on her at 445 pm and she seemed like she was in shock but also struggling with the heat. I cooled her feet first in the water before being her directly in the house with ac. Due to the holiday I donā€™t have electrolytes so I gave her yellow Gatorade which seems to have helped a bit. Yesterday she took 10 mls. 5ml then an hour later another 5ml. She has pooped for me and did a big pee with all the white. She made it through the night.

Yesterday I had to put her head down and help clear out her croup. She kept trying to keep something down but I think itā€™s cause she gorged on water. It was thick bile that came up. Nothing tangled. So no blockage.

She was cough a little yesterday after I did that but hasnā€™t coughed since. I am worried about a possible respiratory issue because I am hearing very mild wheezing occasionally. Can anyone advise on this?

Heat stroke, she is still very lethargic and sleepy. I woke up and checked on her and it seems she tried to eat a bit. She can stand but isnā€™t wanting to walk unless she has too. Her comb and wattle is getting some color back but it still very light and not supple. Her earlobes are white still. Normally they have a pink color.

Through her recovery ā¤ļøā€šŸ©¹ I have learned she does like to watch tv. šŸ¤£ This is why I love this girl! This morning snuggles in pics below.
Has Flora made a full recovery? I found this thread because I am on day 3 off dealing with this issue with my one of my 3 month old Lavender Orpingtons.. same symptoms. šŸ„°

Has Flora made a full recovery? I found this thread because I am on day 3 of dealing with this issue with my one of my 3 month old Lavender Orpingtons.. same symptoms. šŸ„°
Yes! Full recovery. She took about 4 days. Came home from work on the 4th day (I kept her in our spare bathroom tub with the door closed) talking to herself in the mirror. Knew she was recovered! It was still very hot out side(115) and she couldnā€™t take longer than 15 mins. So I took her out for socializing for 15 mins observed and when I started to see her energy and body deflate I took her back inside. Did that until day 6. Then I put her back in at night in the coop so theyā€™d all wake up together and no drama. Day 7 she woke up with the flock in the cool and now I put 2 water sources out daily. Small one with electrolytes and big one with fresh water. They are all doing great through the heat.

Back
Top Bottom