Heating mat instead of lamp?

I think the Kane Heating Mat directions say not to put anything on top of it because the mat is activated somehow by the dog's heat on it. I don't think it is a constant heat source, and bedding on it may not work. Even bare I'm not sure the chicks mass is enough for it to work reliably. I'm not sure I'd chance it.
That is only certain types. They have 3 types mine is attached to a thermostat that I adjust exact ambient temperature. It’s similar to a radiant heat panel, but from below instead of above of beside.

I'm not a fan of heat lamps, just my personal opinion. I know many people use them with no issues at all. But I've used them in the past for other animals. They work, but they have a tendency to blow out. Which leave you with no heat. I've also heard stories of chickens knocking them over, starting fires. For those reasons, when I decided to get chicks for the first time last year, I researched and found they had heating plates, that use FAR LESS electricity than the heat bulbs. They have 4 legs, so they can't be tipped over. I decided to buy one. I bought the Rent-A-Coop heating plate. I bought the biggest one they had, figuring the number of birds it could handle would be grossly overrated, much like the pre-built chicken coops. Well it was much bigger than I needed, for my 16x day old chicks. But it worked perfectly. The chicks were happy. And I won't use anything else in the future. And I definitely recommend them to anyone getting new baby chicks. Especially with rising electric rates. I can't speak about any of the other brands, but I wound imagine they're all pretty similar. But I also recommend getting the no-roost cover for the top of it. It'll save you a lot of time cleaning chicken poop off the top of it. I'm definitely happy I got one.
i was actually looking at these. for the price they arent too far off from the supplies id need to purchase to fashion a mama heating pad. thanks for posting this.

...heating plates, that use FAR LESS electricity than the heat bulbs...
True, but every time I have looked at prices, they cost quite a bit more to buy. So I'm not sure which one actually comes out cheaper overall.

I do prefer heat lamps, but you are right about their disadvantages, and especially about the need to be careful of fires.

I don't think there will ever be a way of warming chicks that is best for ALL circumstances, so it's a matter of picking what is best for each person's specific situation. I'm glad your heat plate has worked well for you, just as I'm glad my heat lamp has worked well for me.

I wasn't trying to downplay heat bulbs. Like I said in my post, they have worked for many, many people. And they have for many, many years. They definitely serve their purpose. And heat lamps were your only option back in the day. So they definitely work. I was just giving my own personal opinion. And giving another option to the original poster. I had no idea about the heat plates until I decided to get chickens and did my research last year. They are safer than heat lamps. And they use less electricity than heat lamps. Those were the points I was trying to make. It all depends on your own personal situation, and own personal opinions.

I don't like the heating plates because we cannot see what's going on underneith and it is difficult to measure the temperature gradient/distribution. Reading this forum has made me feel guilty about using 24-hour light bulbs. The black ceramic heaters that screw into a light fixture seems like the best trade-off. Also, a ceramic heater will put out more heat than a light bulb of the same wattage so it saves electricity.

I could see under mine just fine. They really would only go under it at night to sleep. You don't need to regulate the heat on the heat plate I bought, it does it all on its own. I would just raise the legs on the heat plate, as the chicks got bigger, until they were all feathered out and no longer needed heat. Chicks are pretty smart to find heat if they're cold, or find a cool spot if they get too hot.
True, but every time I have looked at prices, they cost quite a bit more to buy. So I'm not sure which one actually comes out cheaper overall.
It depends on how long the heat bulbs last. Those aren't cheap either. Some could last months. Some can last weeks. Some could last days. There's just no telling how long they'll last. And you always need a backup, for when (Not if) it eventually blows. I went through a whole cycle of day old chicks, up through feathering, using just the 1 heat plate. And I still have it when I decide to hatch out some chicks from my flock, in the future. Some people go through a heat bulb or 2 during just 1 cycle of chicks. So not only does it depend on how long the bulbs last, but also how many cycles you plan on doing. If you're only doing 1 cycle, then heat lamps MAY be the more cost effective for you. But you also have to take into account electricity used. And it seems like electricity rates keep increasing. So there's lots to consider if you're looking to be "cost effective", other than the cost of the materials. Operating costs are also a factor. I'm an electrician. I did all the math before I bought chicks, and the heat plate was the best option for me.

Back
Top Bottom