Hello am in the right place. Have a Duck Question

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
I am wondering what I can do for my two and a half weeks old Duckling he walks a few steps and lays down the other with him are fine .we are feeding Purina Flock raiser and im wondering when they can go out in a predator safe coop and pen can use a heat plate as long as needed.

Last edited:
I am wondering what I can do for my two and a half weeks old Duckling he walks a few steps and lays down the other with him are fine .we are feeding Purina Flock raiser and im wondering when they can go out in a predator safe coop and pen can use a heat plate as long as needed.
This sounds like a niacin deficiency, is he pigeon toed at all?

I would begin supplementing the food with niacin, I use nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp per 1 cup of feed.

For the duckling which is showing signs of a deficiency, I would treat using B complex if possible. This can be purchased at tractor supply if you're in the US, or potentially other feedstores or online. Folks here use the duvert brand, it's given orally, 1 ml daily via a tasty treat.

Depending on the climate/weather where you are, I'd generally advise waiting until ducklings are 6-8 weeks before moving them outside. By then they should be feathering out. They may still need heat available and a draft proof environment depending on the temperature.
However they must be kept from adult drakes until they are sexually mature at around 4 months.

They can go out of the brooder at around 4 weeks to a month, but every bird is different. We usually take them out a couple days after they're off the heater. 🦆

We give our baby's vitamin water and when it empties switch with normal H2O than repeat. Our vitamin water is Niacin, water, and Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes for poultry. We blend it together and put it in their water feeder.

We give our baby's vitamin water and when it empties switch with normal H2O than repeat. Our vitamin water is Niacin, water, and Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes for poultry. We blend it together and put it in their water feeder.
:welcome When one is already showing signs of a niacin deficiency the best course of treatment is the liquid B complex it works the best when given by mouth, or over a small amount of treat so we're sure this one is getting a full dose. not in water where it gets diluted. Doing it in water with those that aren't showing signs is fine but a niacin deficiency needs to be treated quickly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

For the leg issues baby may be in need of extra niacin
Nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1cup feed for 10-12 weeks
After that I still sprinkle it on my feed a few times a week to make sure my birds are getting enough
Not all feed has the correct amount and some babies need more then others
Also once you notice any possible issues you start durvet vitamin B complex (1 ml once a day ) this can be given over small treat or directly by syringe

For outside
I’m summer on warm days I have my little ones out by 2 weeks. I add a shade area and a small swimming bucket so they can stay cool if needed. On cooler days I keep them inside
My ducklings usually fully stop using heat by 3 weeks
I keep my little ones in the house till 4-5 weeks till they aren’t needing feed in the night as I don’t provide it in my duck house for sleeping
But some people do and as long as it’s warm enough they can be out in the coop
My broody mom had hers in the duck house from hatch on and they were just fine. I did provide feed and water in the sectioned off area she had though

I make sure to use warm to room temp water in their swimming bucket ( I start with a litter box and move up to the cement mixing tub )
With full supervision I use a kid pool or deeper ponds for some fun swimming time
I don’t fully trust them in bigger swimming till they are feathered in
Usually around 3 months

Back
Top Bottom