Hello, I am new to this site and need some help with a "sick chicken"

Give the vitamins some time. Injuries can also take time. If you should lose her, I would ask your state vet lab do a necropsy and testing for what was wrong. Keep food and water close to her. A chicken sling with food and water in front can sometimes help keep them nourished while recovering if they tolerate it. Here are some examples in post 5, 11-13:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

You can inspect her joints on both legs for any swelling and feel for any excess warmth and gently press to see if she gives a pain response. Sounds like she wants to walk but somethings going wrong.

Maybe also check the bottoms of her feet for any swelling or wounds as well, just to be safe.

If you give anti inflammatory pain relief and they move around like normal it’s a good way to confirm it’s something mechanical like a sprain.

what can I give as an antinflamatory and how much??
Turmeric is great for this! Turmeric is to be used in one teaspoon per ten pounds an animal weighs, and the average laying hen weighs about 4-7 pounds, meaning that you would use 1/3 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of turmeric per dosing. It also helps with their skin and digestive tract! I’m not exactly sure how often you should dose her, but be sure to dose moderately, because turmeric is also a blood thinner.

In terms of NSAIDs if you have access to meloxicam that’s the best one but baby/low dose aspirin is okay in a pinch. I believe dosage is 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

But do feel around her legs for excess warmth in any spot because that is going to be your indication that she has hurt her leg. Especially if she is favouring one leg.

If both legs seem affected I’d give her time on the vitamins to see if that sorts the problem.

1697405737128.png

she can pull her legs up, stretch them but they just seem useless... will eat sometimes but needs encouraged a lot!

she can pull her legs up, stretch them but they just seem useless... will eat sometimes but needs encouraged a lot!
I would definitely recommend that you continue dosing her with vitamins, considering that she can still move them, but doesn’t want to stand on them. It doesn’t sound like paralysis, but rather just weakness. She seems to be getting better, so keep doing what you are doing! As long as she doesn’t suddenly go downhill (which does happen, unfortunately) I think she will be okay. Like a few other people were saying, give her very easy access to her food and water, and continue with the vitamins.

She is in the house propped up with towels, I dont have anyone laying right now I have 8 chickens about 6 months old and one that is about 8 years... she is about 6 mos old and I dont see anything wrong with her vent and her backend is clean, she has a a little dark firmer poop... not much I have offered egg, wet food, dry food... She has electrolytes in her water.... I dont see any mites... I try standing her she kicks her legs like she wants to walk but cant stand on them.... they dont look malformed/broken

I would definitely recommend that you continue dosing her with vitamins, considering that she can still move them, but doesn’t want to stand on them. It doesn’t sound like paralysis, but rather just weakness. She seems to be getting better, so keep doing what you are doing! As long as she doesn’t suddenly go downhill (which does happen, unfortunately) I think she will be okay. Like a few other people were saying, give her very easy access to her food and water, and continue with the vitamins.
I just got an email from the hatchery that they were vaccinated for Mareks... I know its not 100% but is encouraging...

Back
Top Bottom