Help…. Barebutt and red vent

daishalucio

Hatching
May 4, 2023
Hello I bought 4 lavender chicks from TS they are about 2 -3 weeks old. Today I noticed one has a barebutt (this is new today). I check them a few times a day for pasty butt. Clean their food and water containers. I cleaned her bum with warm water pat it dry added no peck purple stuff. The feed is medicated. And I already add hydro hen to the water. What do y’all think. I’m really new to chickens. I’ve attached photos. The first one is when I noticed it. The other are after I cleaned and medicated the bum. I’m very worried 😟

Attachments

• 70493072552__8FC4FD08-6852-4F0D-86D8-6C5ECE8EB41B.jpeg
    70493072552__8FC4FD08-6852-4F0D-86D8-6C5ECE8EB41B.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9775.jpeg
    IMG_9775.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9776.jpeg
    IMG_9776.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 9
Maybe something medical, but looks like the chick is most likely getting picked on by the others. Usually, for no specific reason, they single a chick out and first peck at their tail feathers.

I have found this is usually because they are stressed in some way.

I can see in the background your brooder looks like a Costco tote with quite a few chicks in there. The lack of space and inability to get out of the heat could be causing stress. Regardless, I'd recommend getting a much larger brooder. We use the metal feeding troughs from the farm store. They work great and can double as raised beds when not in use by the chicks.

With all that said, again, it might be something more serious. I can't tell.

When you are cleaning their pasty butt, are you doing it under warm running water?

Maybe something medical, but looks like the chick is most likely getting picked on by the others. Usually, for no specific reason, they single a chick out and first peck at their tail feathers.

I have found this is usually because they are stressed in some way.

I can see in the background your brooder looks like a Costco tote with quite a few chicks in there. The lack of space and inability to get out of the heat could be causing stress. Regardless, I'd recommend getting a much larger brooder. We use the metal feeding troughs from the farm store. They work great and can double as raised beds when not in use by the chicks.

With all that said, again, it might be something more serious. I can't tell.

When you are cleaning their pasty butt, are you doing it under warm running water?
Yes I do use warm water. I actually have two separate totes. I was cleaning them so I put them in one while cleaning the other. I hope it’s nothing serious 😔

What's the temp of your brooder on the hot and cold side?

Looks like the chick may be prolapsing a bit.
Keep the butt cleaned, see that she's drinking well and eating. Provide a source of plain fresh water for them as well.
Prep H or an anti-inflammatory cream is fine to use on the vent.

Back
Top Bottom