Help!!! 1-2 week chick with hurt leg, deets in my message below.

Misskay1313

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
My brothers brought me a hurt baby chick 5 minutes ago. She has a bad leg and drags her body with one leg and her wings. presumably attacked by a hawk. I cant tell if her leg is strained, broken or dislocated. Unfortunately I cannot provide pictures because I don't have a phone or camera. Any recommendations on what I should do??

Are you sure a 1-2 week old chick was attacked by a hawk? That just sounds incredible.

Assuming you have no vet...

You could soak the leg in warm Epsom salt water for about 10 to 15 minutes and then see if you can see what's wrong. I'd give it Poultry Cell vitamin water every other day.

Maybe borrow a phone so you can post a video to YouTube, then paste it here as it's hard to know what to advise without seeing it.

Thanks so much! Where I live we have no poultry vet and I have Flockleader Thrive daily water supplement, Is this ok? Also I have a camera on my computer but it is very blurry and low quality so I figured just not use it

Thanks so much! Where I live we have no poultry vet and I have Flockleader Thrive daily water supplement, Is this ok? Also I have a camera on my computer but it is very blurry and low quality so I figured just not use it
I had to look it up as I wasn't familiar with Flockleader Thrive. It looks good in that it's probiotics and electrolytes, but if it's muscular issues the chick has, it needs vitamins and that doesn't have them in it.

Is it possibly splayed-legged, as in like bull-legged? Binding the legs is the cure for that. You can use a bandaid or there's a few different ways to do that. If you think it's broken or sprained, then perhaps you could make a sling for it so its feet don't touch the floor. You can google chicken slings and you'll find tons of ideas.

I had to look it up as I wasn't familiar with Flockleader Thrive. It looks good in that it's probiotics and electrolytes, but if it's muscular issues the chick has, it needs vitamins and that doesn't have them in it.

Is it possibly splayed-legged, as in like bull-legged? Binding the legs is the cure for that. You can use a bandaid or there's a few different ways to do that. If you think it's broken or sprained, then perhaps you could make a sling for it so its feet don't touch the floor. You can google chicken slings and you'll find tons of ideas.
Ok I'll definitely look some stuff up. Right now it seems she is standing on both legs but is still hobbling around. I'll see what I can do about vitamins... I wonder, is there any home remedy for vitamins for chickens? I'll also look this up but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ok I'll definitely look some stuff up. Right now it seems she is standing on both legs but is still hobbling around. I'll see what I can do about vitamins... I wonder, is there any home remedy for vitamins for chickens? I'll also look this up but any advice would be greatly appreciated
Oh that's good news then!!

The only home remedy for vitamins I know of is fermented grains but you'd not have any of those for three days even if you started right now.

You could maybe try feed it a little scrambled egg or tuna in water if you have some.

The black chick is the new one, see how bad the cam is... but she's standing just fine
IMG_20240325_171647.jpg

Oh that's good news then!!

The only home remedy for vitamins I know of is fermented grains but you'd not have any of those for three days even if you started right now.

You could maybe try feed it a little scrambled egg or tuna in water if you have some.
Tuna in water, never heard of that! I'll try that soon, At the moment I'm feeding her egg yolk with Flockleader Thrive in it
Also she is scratching with the other chick, I can't seem to find what's wrong with her leg though

Last edited:
Ok so this morning I was examining her and it seems one leg stretches out more than the other... I think she just has a shorter leg. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom