Help! Aggressive 13 Week Old Pullet!

jedool

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hello,
So I’m not quite sure how to fix this as I’ve never dealt with a chicken this mean to other chickens before. A little background, I am currently raising 16 chicks to add to my current flock. These chicks range from 11-13 weeks old and are being kept in my barn until I integrate them with the big girls. One of these chicks is a 13 week old Olive Egger who has clung to me since day one. When she first got her feathers she would flutter her way into my shoulders, and this behavior still continues she loves human attention. Due to her being so sweet to me, I would never imagine her to be aggressive towards the others. I’m particular, she is not a fan of my buff brahmas. I’m not sure why, as they do not challenge her for dominance at all (at least from what I see). What made me write this was an incident that just occurred. I have this tiny buff Brahma (not a bantam just probably a slow grower) who my OE grabbed by the neck and would NOT let go of. It was completely unprovoked and luckily I was there to separate them. I was told she’s a pullet so I’m ruling out disrespectful mating behavior, but is she just that dominant? What can I do, I don’t want my other chicks to be hurt, because like I said she had no intention of releasing my little Brahma. Thank you, I’ll attach some videos and pictures. The video is short and it cuts off because I stepped in. It was not the worst of what she’s done, but I wanted to give an example of how she acts. I will also attach a photo of my little brahma next to my other one for reference as to how small she is (also featuring my Rhode Island Blue and Lav Orp hahha)

Attachments

• 66452ACA-8F17-4391-997C-2F5FA326BEC4.png
    66452ACA-8F17-4391-997C-2F5FA326BEC4.png
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • 633E7A36-04B0-4A38-9D6C-07CA69F901D8.jpeg
    633E7A36-04B0-4A38-9D6C-07CA69F901D8.jpeg
    751.1 KB · Views: 14
Move her out with the adults, and see if the mature hens can manage her better. These pullets could/ should already be out there with the adults, during free range time if possible.
If nobody is being injured, it's likely normal social development. There are individuals who are just nasty, and need to be rehomed. Hope she's not one like that!
Mary

I would suspect that it is "just" pecking order being established. It can look pretty vicious, especially when more aggressive breeds are mixed in with more docile chickens.
Thank you for the reply! Yeah she got very vicious, at one point that poor Brahma was running all around with the OE attached to her neck! I had to separate them for a few minutes to let the Brahma recoup🤦‍♀️ Hopefully they’ll get that sorted soon and it won’t end up with any injuries. I’ve never had a hen this aggressive when establishing her rank!

Move her out with the adults, and see if the mature hens can manage her better. These pullets could/ should already be out there with the adults, during free range time if possible.
If nobody is being injured, it's likely normal social development. There are individuals who are just nasty, and need to be rehomed. Hope she's not one like that!
Mary
Thank you for the reply! You are right, she is definitely ready for the big girls. I was planning on starting this week, but I may place her first to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom